TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX Interior plastic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX Interior plastic
    Posted: Sep/29/2022 at 6:42am
Can anyone provide some suggestions on how to remove the plastic trim under the rear quarter windows in my 1969 AMX? I want to take it out and also the trim under the rear window. Thanks for any help.

Dave

Edited by roadventure - Sep/29/2022 at 8:59am
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2022 at 8:21am
Nobody has any idea?  I am sure someone has removed and installed these parts in the past... Wink
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2022 at 8:52am
There little tabs with screws be careful look closely you will find them 
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2022 at 12:00pm
Pretty straightforward - all the moldings are held in with chromed screws of various lengths so keep track of where each screw came from.  I dont recall the order, but you can pretty much tell by what parts overlap the others.  The rear kick-panels have hidden spring clips.  Be careful with the molding that goes under the quarter window as it tends to break.  The molding under the rear quarter has a piece of sheet metal (you can tell where it is by the rivets) that hooks over the body where the window goes in.  I have only R&R this piece with the window and weatherstrip out so dont know if there will be problems with those installed?  The rear carpet has a cardboard panel at the top that goes in a slot in the rear molding - with a new carpet set, this was a pretty tight fit, a little soapy water will help.
68 AMX 390 4SP
67 RS Camaro 327 Auto
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2022 at 8:21pm
Hopefully the same as a '70.

First remove the vinyl covered kick panel under the quarter window.  As explained, it is held in by spring clips (I apparently have a screw at the upper rear point), but be very careful or you'll be using screws like I am.
Next remove the screws and note where they go because, as explained, they vary in length.  There are at least 2 under the kick panel and one at the top corner at the door.  This panel has a metal bracket attached to it at the quarter window (also explained above, see the rivets).  It slips over a lip to hold it in place.

To remove the trim under the rear window you need to remove both side plastic trim pieces as they overlap the lower rear window trim.

And again, be very gentle.  These plastic pieces get very brittle and crack/break very easy (PlastX to the rescue).

Good luck.

Edited by troutwilly - Sep/30/2022 at 8:23pm
Bill O.
70 AMX
roadventure View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadventure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2022 at 8:56am
Thanks for the insight!  Photos and descriptions are very helpful.  Now on to the big adventure....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic