TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amx air conditioning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7172AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

You may want to retain the entire OEM system and if you do you would want to have the OEM receiver dryer rebuilt at the very least.
George, Any lead on who rebuilds these dryers and advantage over a new dryer as R134 unit should work fine w/R12 assuming plumbing ok.
thanks
GoPacKman
71 JavAMX 401 T-10 354TG
72 JavSST 360 727 315TG
98 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4.0 4WD
Gadgetman1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadgetman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2023 at 9:41pm
Vintage Air doesn’t show anything for an AMC on their website.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2023 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Gadgetman1 Gadgetman1 wrote:

You will have to use a generic system, there’s nothing specific to AMC. 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2023 at 10:14pm

My '70 Javelin SST came with factory A/C, but its completely out of the car, except for the dash parts.  Would it be a good idea to convert everything over to the Sanden system or try to reuse the disassembled factory equipment? 

I converted the non-operating factory system in my '72 Javelin to a Sanden-type compressor for about $800.  That included new compressor, hoses, condenser and all labor.  This was done at an a/c shop in Phoenix that also does the a/c work for a local AMC restorer.  It works great.

I also added factory a/c to my non-a/c '69 AMX.  That was a challenge. It required finding a good used a/c heater box (which is different between a/c and non-a/c cars), York compressor, new center dash pad with vent holes, plus the vents themselves, duct work, hoses, brackets, condenser etc.  I did most of that work myself except for the initial system charging and I probably still spent about $1,200 or so by the time I got it working.  I wouldn't do it again unless I could find all the parts together, maybe from a car that was being parted out.

York compressors are generally reliable, but I had trouble with the one in my '69 blowing seals.  I have had zero problems with the Sanden setup in my '72, even though the compressor is a Chinese knock-off.  Drove that car to Colorado Springs and back a couple summers ago for the AMO National and I'm sure glad I had a/c driving through Arizona and New Mexico.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 12:26am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Drove that car to Colorado Springs and back a couple summers ago for the AMO National and I'm sure glad I had a/c driving through Arizona and New Mexico.

i drove through cali and az desert as well to that same amo show, with 470 ac!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 5:20am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

You will have to use a generic system, there’s nothing specific to AMC. 
He's right but there are a couple of writeups in the HVAC section about doing them. I did one for a 71-74 Javelin.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
jcaspersen View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcaspersen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 6:49am
I used a Vintage Air Gen II Compac. I haven't completed it yet, but I've mocked it up a couple times with the dash in place. There's a decent amount of room. Likely will have to modify the glove box. I lined the defrost duct up with the center of the car.

I just ordered a 3D printer and will probably print my own defrost duct adapter.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2023 at 10:05am
If you're using a Compac like I do, make sure you insulate your car as much as possible. The unit is a bit to small for the cabin volume but if you insulate it, it works quite well. It's not the equivalent to the factory system so don't expect that. I use Boom Mat Under Carpet Lite under the carpeting and above the headliner. I also have the trunk blocked off behind the seat with a panel. Deadens sound out very well too. I also have my windows tinted too.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Desertdweller View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desertdweller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2024 at 4:51pm
Hello, newbie trying to learn about ac system options. Any chance you remember the name of the shop in Phoenix? Looking to get ac working in my az 69 Amx. 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2024 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Desertdweller Desertdweller wrote:

Hello, newbie trying to learn about ac system options. Any chance you remember the name of the shop in Phoenix? Looking to get ac working in my az 69 Amx. 

RMACC Hose Company
RMACC Hose Company
7809 N. 68th Ave. 
Glendale Az. 85303

623-776-7710

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic