TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amx air conditioning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 709karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amx air conditioning
    Posted: Nov/19/2021 at 9:49pm
Has anyone installed vintage air in a 390 amx that could offer some info.?  Thanks, K.
Life is too short to own a car that isn't green..BBG 69 AMX, Green 68 AMX
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 6:35am
The answer would be yes. And if you do an Advanced Search, I think something will turn up.
Moved your question here to the HVAC area.

Good luck!

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
709karl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 709karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 1:28pm
What series evaporator of Vintage Air will best fit in an Amx  using factory air dash ducts?  Thanks, Karl

Edited by 709karl - Nov/21/2021 at 1:39pm
709karl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 709karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 1:33pm
A quick new post...I'm doing the homework to put Vintage a/c in my 68 AMX.  I'd like it to make use of the two factory center ducts (which I've got) and have a lower dash duct on each side. I've also got a factory a/c  compressor mtg. bracket &  adaptor to apply a Standen compressor.  The Vintage Air catalogue makes it look so easy (for designated cars) but I'm sure that's not the case.  I must say, I'm somewhat intimidated by the condenser fit and before taking things apart & buying more stuff, would appreciate some suggestions from you wizards out there.  The Gen 4 unit looks too big and directs the ducts in awkward ways???  The Gen 2 looks better, on paper anyway. Has someone done this exact installation & could offer a humble beginner some advise and consolation.   Thanks in advance, Karl     The previous posts don't seem to address this exact issue.Confused 

Edited by 709karl - Nov/25/2021 at 11:23am
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2021 at 11:47pm
I was researching putting an aftermarket A/C in my 70 AMX.  Shouldn't be much different then a 68.
The local guy who everyone (I know) goes to swears by Classic Auto Air.  Its been a while since considering the A/C cause I'm focusing on just getting the car back on the road (going on 3 years now).  That said, a few things I have done/learned:
- You'll typically have 8 air outlets coming off the unit; 2 for floor/heat, 2 for defrost, and 4 for dash vents.  They are 2" flex ducts and need some sort of adapters to match to OE ducts.
- I've found that Restomodair.com has some "defrost" adapters that can be used for the defrost and air ducts, with some creativity.  I'll attach some pics on what I've done.
- IIRC, I like the Classic Auto Air electronic controls and the Vintage Air units.  I've got so many print-outs laying around its scary.
- The member vendor, Rambler Mexicano, makes a decent heater delete kit.  I've used it to plug my openings and will mount my controls in his "control panel" plug.
Here's what I did to the defrost and air ducts to enable mating to the 2" flex ducts.  Plastex can be your friend:

The defrost duct:

The dash vent:

Bill O.
70 AMX
709karl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 709karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2021 at 6:20pm
Thanks Bill, I'll save this in my acquiring info.!!  KarlSmile
witz View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote witz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2022 at 7:35pm
I recently got a 68' AMX with air. Everything looks original. It is not blowing cold. Can I get some of your opinions on if it worth putting the money into changing all the needed hoses, dryer, compressor etc.... Bottom line is it going to give me good results for the summer.

thanks,
David
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2022 at 7:21am
Before you start changing out any of the original hoses or other components, have someone familiar with automotive a/c systems check to see if there’s any charge remaining in the system AND if there’s any signs of the system having been “converted” from R-12 to R-134. If the system has no internal pressure remaining then the first thing I would do is check the compressor’s oil level to make sure it’s oil level is within spec. Long term oil loss due to seal and gasket seepage is common on these York compressors. If there’s any remaining pressure in the system then try turning the compressor over by hand a few revolutions to make sure that the compressor is not seized. When trying to turn the compressor over be sure to turn the inner hub of the compressor pulley or remove the belt, engage the a/c clutch and then turn the compressor a few full turns in the normal direction of engine rotation.
If the compressor passes the “rotation” test then the next step is the connect an a/c gauge set and vacuum pump to see if the vacuum pump can pull the system into a full vacuum and that the system will hold that vacuum. Ideally the system should be able to hold a vacuum indefinitely but for the purposes of this initial test an hour or so would be sufficient. If the system will hold vacuum then a small amount of charge could be installed and a leak test done.
At this point you have to make a decision how to proceed. You may want to retain the entire OEM system and if you do you would want to have the OEM receiver dryer rebuilt at the very least. Assuming the compressor is ok it would be a good idea to remove it from the car, drain out any remaining oil and refill it to spec with fresh oil. I believe the oil to use today is PAG oil which I believe is compatible with both R-12 and R-134. ( confirm with a/c expert ). Once everything is back together, connect the gauge set and pull a vacuum for at least and hour. Then shut the pump down and see if it will hold that vacuum overnight. If it does then you can decide if you want to charge the system with either R-12 or R-134. I would recommend that you try to secure some R-12. It’s still around, you can check the internet, eBay, etc. R-134 will work, it just doesn’t work as well at low speeds as R-12.
I’m told that to make best use of R-134 the OEM condenser should be changed to a parallel flow style condenser. Changing to a modern a/c compressor would also be a good idea if you don’t care about keeping the original look.
I can tell you that the original system with R-12 can get plenty cold. It’s only shortcoming is distribution by only having those two center a/c outlets. There are two under dash cooling tubes but they’re of little use. Adding the high speed blower relay, used on later models ( 71, 72 & up ? ) also helps.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Gadgetman1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gadgetman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 6:52pm
My '70 Javelin SST came with factory A/C, but its completely out of the car, except for the dash parts.  Would it be a good idea to convert everything over to the Sanden system or try to reuse the disassembled factory equipment? 
witz View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote witz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2023 at 8:40pm
I recently had my A/C restored in my i68' AMX 390. We sent the dryer out to get rebuld, all new hoses, new blower fan and seals and a Sandon compressor. It work decent now. It cost around $3500-4000
I also added a electric fan near outer condenser..It dropped the temp a lot when in bumper to bumper traffic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic