TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMX/3 Replica AMX390.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMX/3 Replica AMX390.com
    Posted: Oct/16/2020 at 9:31pm
Hey everybody,
I added a new video to the You Tube channel AMXFirehorse about the Mendeola SDR 5 speed transaxle for the AMX/3 replica. Mike Mendeola is a legend in the off road racing scene for decades and also made his mark in the on road scene. He is putting together a beautiful SDR 5 speed transaxle for our AMC V8 engine to go in the AMX/3 replica. Take a look.
https://youtu.be/A1hsrHMk6X4
Tom

Edited by AMX390 - Nov/16/2020 at 8:26pm
I love The AMC forum!

http://www.amx390.com

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2020 at 2:16pm
Nice to see the project is still progressing.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2020 at 4:48pm
This is the coolest AMC project going.

If I had the coin, I would buy an AMX/3 replica. I'm sure Tom has heard that more times than he likes, but trust me, when my lottery numbers hit, he'll be the 5th person I call. 
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2020 at 7:49pm
I admire your spirit in pursuing you dream. I have built two tribute classics. Had a problem with the "A" pillar cracking at the base on a Astra GT/Kellison J4. New owner put the funky white scoop on it. UGHFrom the pictures I've seen of the AMX3 f'glass body the "A" pillar could crack in the same place from road shock, vibration, etc. See photo of what I mean:
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2020 at 10:33pm
The YouTube video has over 200 views in the first 24 hours. Thanks for your support and advice, I appreciate it. I like your yellow 401 Hornet. When we mount to body to the chassis we'll be careful to properly support the "A" pillar, thanks.
Lots of e-mails coming in. One guy wants to sell an original 1970 AMX/3 ATA Melara 4 speed transaxle. Send me a message if you are interested and I will give his e-mail. $5,000. I already have one.
Tom

Edited by AMX390 - Oct/17/2020 at 10:39pm
I love The AMC forum!

AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2020 at 8:24pm
Curt Hall explains years of research documenting the greatest AMC ever made, the AMX/3 mid-engine supercar. Curt explains the origins, design and development, with several companies assisting American Motors Corporation. Curt reveals the role of Giotto Bizzarrini of Lamborghini and Ferrari fame, as well as the parts played by Ital Design and BMW in producing AMC's halo car. Curt's knowledge is vast and he has reasoned his way through all available documentation both online and in print to establish a timeline for how it all happened. Enjoy! Tom Dulaney - AMX390.com Timeline Discussion begins at 7 minutes. (TRT 41:51)

Edited by AMX390 - Nov/16/2020 at 8:27pm
I love The AMC forum!

401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2022 at 8:57am
Does Mendeola have a bellhousing with an AMC bolt pattern?

'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2022 at 9:22pm
Sorry for the delay in responding Leon, this thread could use an update. Thanks to Leon (401Ambo), Mike Mendeola is working again on engineering the SDR 5 speed transaxle to work with  the AMC V8, after a long dormant period. If anyone else on here is considering a Mendeola SDR transaxle for an AMC, now is the time to give them a call and support these engineering efforts. I brought Mike a flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc last Friday. This coming week I will bring the engine I will be using and I have ordered a Robbmc starter which is back ordered. Mike is using these parts to calculate the measurements for adapting a solution to connect our AMC V8 to the SDR 5 transaxle. Mike already has bellhousings for Chevy early iron blocks and LS engines as well as Ford V8. As usual, it takes some special effort to get companies to do the engineering for a smaller niche market like AMC. Look how long we waited for the Edelbrock aluminum heads, but it eventually happened, when companies want to add some additional sales after the most popular ones. Thanks Leon! Let's keep the ball rolling.

Edited by AMX390 - Mar/19/2022 at 9:24pm
I love The AMC forum!

AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2022 at 10:44pm
I have visited Mike Medeola and Ian the last two Fridays and progress is being made. Mike is the mastermind who designed the SDR and he has been taking measurements of the AMC parts to engineer a solution. I am very excited that I get to help work along these guys doing R & D. The height of the pressure plate is one issue being addressed. The starter mounting position is another. Mike calls for Ian to bring some part out of storage and Ian bring it to the flat table to be examined and measured by the old master. Thanks to Leon for helping to reignite the fire on this key part of the AMX/3 replicas.
I also called Dave Ward about documenting our first chassis with all the measurements and building a second. Dave is very busy with the Big Red Camaro these days and has a friend locally, who might be able to help us out taking all the measurements.
Tom

Edited by AMX390 - Mar/26/2022 at 10:52pm
I love The AMC forum!

AMX390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
AMX/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2022 at 10:48pm
The first AMX/3 chassis and body are at the chassis builder Chris Roland's shop. Chris has been working with Dave Ward for 35 years and will make the blueprints, tooling and fixtures for a second chassis based on Dave's design of the first one. Also, I will be taking the engine back to Mike Mendeola's shop next week for additional measurements.

I love The AMC forum!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic