TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

American V8 battery cable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: American V8 battery cable
    Posted: Nov/21/2022 at 5:00pm
  Was not sure were to post this but if you have been looking for the correct positive battery cable for your 67-69 V8 American APD currently has reproductions in stock. These are extremely hard to find. I would encourage you to get one while you can.   Lee 
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2022 at 7:36pm
Not related to this specific product, but I purchased a set of reproduction battery cables from APD for my ‘69 AMX and was a bit perplexed. I bought the solenoid to starter cable, the positive battery cable and the negative battery cable. Nothing wrong with the solenoid to starter cable, but the clamp on the cable for the + terminal on the battery was too small and the clamp for the - terminal was too big. It’s like they reversed the clamp sizes, although the positive clamp is marked and they’re both going on a correct (although modern) Group 24 battery mfd. by Johnson Controls. If the posts on Group 24 batteries were sized differently 50 years ago that’s fine, but if you intend to drive your car with a modern battery it’s a problem. Another issue is that the clamps don’t appear to be made of lead and they are super-soft; when tightening up the clamp you’ll need to use two wrenches to prevent the bolt from rotating, even with the square end, to prevent chewing up the clamp. 

Bottom line is that these might be good for a concours barely driven car, but for a driver it might be better functionally, and financially, to just purchase a good set of aftermarket cables. It’s a shame since I’d like for things to look correct under the hood, but it seems that quality and looking correct are mutually exclusive. 

Edited by sweatlock - Nov/22/2022 at 9:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic