TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC390 build with Hyd Roller & Edel. Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 5:01pm
Alfano Performance has a kit with a cam retainer plate and a roller thrust bearing. It includes a modified timing chain set to make the whole thing work 

That is what I used on my 390 with a bullet hyd roller. 

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
Repsolroger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Repsolroger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 5:09pm
roller cams are way to go :-) well i think so .. you can get more aggressive
 profiles 
1969 sst javelin restomod
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

Alfano Performance has a kit with a cam retainer plate and a roller thrust bearing. It includes a modified timing chain set to make the whole thing work 

That is what I used on my 390 with a bullet hyd roller. 

Mike

That is the kit I plan to order, guess I better get to it!
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Repsolroger Repsolroger wrote:

roller cams are way to go :-) well i think so .. you can get more aggressive
 profiles 

This is your motor? Bullet proof build it would seem. Roller cams certainly seem to be a big miss if skipped in many ways. The profiles, oil, friction, break-in… everything sounds great but the cost. Hoping to only do it once so off we go. If this is your bad boy I hope to hear it run on that Pro Flo.  
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2022 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Gench Gench wrote:

If you happen on the piston relief dimensions, I’m curious; nonetheless, assembly is going answer my clearance concerns. I have Racetech pistons as well, mine have 0.24in valve reliefs with compression height of 1.51in… glad to see you use them in your build.

The only time I’ve seen polishing the cam bolt was for the roller cam button. I looked again and saw you set the lash against the retainer. 

Is the cam bolt all about oil to the distributor gear?

Roger is going to have a fun ride! 

I think I had the pistons made with .300 valve reliefs but I was assuming a .650" valve lift max.
The cam bolt holds the distributor gear and fuel pump accentric on to the cam. That is it's only purpose. Nothing to do with oil.
AMC cam bearings are all machined at different diameters starting with the largest in front digressing to the smallest in back for two reasons.  A -you can insert the cam in with no problem and B so that that the cam will naturally want to walk backward towards the block.  It is when you let off on the load (rpm etc.) that it is in the free state and may or may not try to walk forward.  This is when when and  if the timing chain is loose or wore out it might Jump.  So to keep the cam from walking forward we have to come up with a method to hold it against the block.  There are a couple of options but I chose to limit the travel by shimming the clearance to the timing cover to less than .010" via washers as a shim.
Gench View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2022 at 10:49am
Thanks for explaining. 

If that was done on none-roller cams it would more than likely save a lot of distributor gears.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2022 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Gench Gench wrote:

Thanks for explaining. 

If that was done on none-roller cams it would more than likely save a lot of distributor gears.

It doesn't hurt but there are other reasons that we have distributor gear failures.
From the '60's through the '80's we put over 100,000 miles on multiple AMC and AMC/Jeep vehicles with nearly zero distributor gear failures.  It wasn't until they change the oil recipe and came out with after market gears and timing covers that we started having issues.  I have seen timing sets so wore out that jumped time but the distributor gear was fine.   Just my $0.02 worth.  
americanjackie2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote americanjackie2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2024 at 5:11am
You build engines for other people? What ended up being the cost of this build?
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2024 at 5:51am
Originally posted by americanjackie2 americanjackie2 wrote:

You build engines for other people? What ended up being the cost of this build?
I have been trying to retire. If someone is local or, if I have one in storage that I want to sell I will rebuild one.  Costs change so fast that you would have to start with a clean slate to estimate the costs today. 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2024 at 6:56am
Cost change is to the point now that the shops will not quote anything but labor. 
Parts will be added when they are done or down payment up front and they call when more cash is required.
Camshafts have doubled, bearings tripled ...
And if it has to be shipped - that's a total unknown except it's likely adding the price of the part again on top and just throw it away if the wrong part got shipped!
Got a catalogue from Summit "free shipping to Canada on orders over $299", small print - duties, brokerage, taxes not included - recycled.
Get a quote - good luck! Rant over.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic