TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC360 Stroker 397 Cubes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
70,71,72 AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 70,71,72 AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2023 at 11:29am
You're very welcome... I mean c'mon, we've only been helping each other out on this AMC crap for the past 30 yrs! 
Bruce in NW Ohio
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2023 at 6:04am
I have came to the conclusion that the next version of the 397 Stroker should be a budget build to run on pump fuel like I did with the 383 Stroker. I may even use the BIG Summit cam and a Torker like I did in that one. I could also throw a Performer or Air-Gap and a different cam in there for that matter. The only thing I really have to do is keep the compression ratio below 10.0:1 so I would shoot for about 9.5:1.
Billyfrank360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2023 at 10:47am
Great combo and build.  Look forward to seeing what the SC does with that combo.

Cheers,
Billy
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2023 at 6:02pm
Rick, What kind of longevity are you expecting with a 1.85" journal on a cast crank?

Tom

Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2023 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Rick, What kind of longevity are you expecting with a 1.85" journal on a cast crank?

Tom

Forever.. Honestly, I think that it will last as long as the normal 360 crank. 
It just went through two separate dyno sessions resulting in about (8) pulls at 6000/6500 rpm.  
More importantly, it was running hard at 4000 rpm with a load on it for 10 minutes at a time trying to sort out the EFI system. He probably did that about 6 times as well.  If it didn't fail through all of that, I think it will be ok.  I will find out. 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2023 at 11:18pm
That sounds like you've gave it a good shake down. I was just wondering and it sounds like AMC made quality cast iron cranks. I wish you many years of use.

Tom

1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2023 at 12:17am
I’m wondering how these rods would work with a 401 crank, I have one that is still stock stroke and has been turned to 2.10 SBC rod journal size at some time in the past. It has obviously thrown a rod since and has damage on one journal.

Probably looking for different options to resurrect this at some stage in the future, 360 stroker might be one such application.

Edited by WesternRed - Mar/10/2023 at 5:07pm
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 9:44am
I really like this build Rick! I never heard of those rods before. It's nice to see they worked so well. What do you think the numbers would be with iron cylinder heads? I'm sure the compression would be less than with the small cc Eddy heads. Also... If you didn't have the "last set" of Crane roller lifters... Would you have used Crower roller lifters instead? 
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 3:57pm
My assumption would be that it would make the same horsepower as a equivalent built AMC 390.
The 397 has .010" smaller bore and .086" longer stroke than a stock 390.
Yes I would use the Crower brand next time. 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2023 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

I’m wondering how these rods would work with a 401 crank, I have one that is still stock stroke and has been turned to 2.10 SBC rod journal size at some time in the past. It has obviously thrown a rod since and has damage on one journal.

Probably looking for different options to resurrect this at some stage in the future, 360 stroker might be one such application.

Turn it down to 2.00" journal and use a 6.00" Molnar rod. Or just weld it if it needs repaired.

Tom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic