TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC / Javelin Horn button center repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC / Javelin Horn button center repair
    Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 11:40am
I have 2 of the 3 spoke steering wheels, and my center horn button clear plastic is cracked on one, and missing on the other. I have read somewhere, where you can use a clear circle from a craft store, and make it smaller, and use it, but, I cannot recall where I heard this, or what it is I am actually looking for. I also see this liquid on TV that looks like you run it in the cracks, and it fills them in, making it look clear again, but maybe it only works on glass. Does anyone have any experience in repairing these, or making the clear cover / lens? Showing mine for reference.
Thanks,
Cricket

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 12:34pm
The lettering is printed on the lens of the first cap, so if you replace the lens, you lose the lettering. I guess you could have a sign shop print new letters & affix them to the inside of a replacement lens. If you do replace the lens on that cap, run a red magic marker over the outer ring, it will look much better.

The lens replacement is part of a DIY button. Craft stores have them, I think they are a buck or two for a couple. They do work with some trimming.

Edited by scott - Jan/21/2021 at 12:37pm
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 1:12pm
That is awesome, thank you for finding that for me. I knew I had seen it, just could not remember what it was called!
Cricket

Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

The lettering is printed on the lens of the first cap, so if you replace the lens, you lose the lettering. I guess you could have a sign shop print new letters & affix them to the inside of a replacement lens. If you do replace the lens on that cap, run a red magic marker over the outer ring, it will look much better.

The lens replacement is part of a DIY button. Craft stores have them, I think they are a buck or two for a couple. They do work with some trimming.

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 2:01pm
Some time ago (2+ yrs) I posted how I replaced the clear cap with a product from Michael's . See photo
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 2:03pm
That's what I was looking for. I searched, but could not find it. I appreciate the help!
Cricket

Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

Some time ago (2+ yrs) I posted how I replaced the clear cap with a product from Michael's . See photo
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2021 at 3:33pm
That Michaels button looks perfect !
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2021 at 8:22pm
OK, I tried to score the inside edge, snap off the excess, and it did not look right, but even worse, when I went to put it in place, I cracked it across the middle. First failure! I have 3 more, so I am not worried. Is there a specific way you trimmed the edge down, and then installed it in the button? I searched for the repair, and it would only go back 1 year, so it is not showing up.
Thanks,
Cricket

Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2021 at 7:22am
I use a pair of Wiss yellow grip tin snips to trim them. Take off about 1/8". The buttons I use are pretty flexible & pop right in when you have the correct diameter figured out. You may need to use a small screwdriver to pry the last part of the lens into the groove.

Edited by scott - Jan/23/2021 at 7:24am
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2021 at 12:39pm
Cricket: In the photo I posted you will see a second package from Michael's "Medium Suction Cups." 
I used the suction cup to position the plastic button lens. I filed the button to size. Be careful and don't scratch the lens, it is made of soft plastic. Might want to put a clear film on it to protect the lens.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
davec1957 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote davec1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2021 at 4:00pm
This is only partially related to this thread, but I was lucky enough to have a spare center piece from a salvaged 1970 AMX steering wheel that I used to modify the horn button on a three-spoke wheel. It was a decent fit!

1970 AMX Bayshore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
1970 AMX Commodore Blue 390 4-spd GoPac
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic