TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC GM style HEI distributor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC GM style HEI distributor.
    Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 9:23pm
Anybody used one of the self contained GM style HEI distributors they sell on ebay? If so which one? I like that all you have to do is run a 12 volt power source to it. Internals available at any auto parts. Any issues with gear alignment or wear issues?
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/20/2021 at 9:40pm
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 7:32am
i have one i purchased at a swap the gear is worn bad  before i run it im putting a MSD gear on it and i also have a cam gear to from MSD  they had issue years ago on china gears and the hardness  those may have been resolved 
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 8:06am
I have no experience with this product but in my readings about distributors... Some off shore dizzys could have questionable parts unreliable electronics... But the biggest thing is whatever dizzy you use... The dizzy gear and the cam gear need to be a matched pair. So don't use the gear that comes with the dizzy. Use the one that came with the OEM dizzy or buy a matched pair.

5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 10:39am
I have had one in my rambler for 12 years
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
jblue1555 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblue1555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 10:39am
DUI.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 11:37am
If it is from ebay or a summit HEI, replace gear with MSD version. Also obtain a tuning kit if it does not have one. You will need to make or obtain an advance lock out to limit advance. HEI distributors have too much advance.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 3:09pm
I don't remember the exact year I got my DUI hei,  2005 or 06.
But at that time DUI asked some specific questions as to the use their product would put, such as rpm range,drag racing, towing, general driving , etc.
 So I assume they did whatever needed to be done to the advance,limits and rate to satisfy your personal requirements .
It never came with a matched gears set,  I just installed it as it came. With 1 shim.
So 15 or 16 years of service, about 150,000 miles later, mostly towing a race car trailer to various tracks,  and occasional trips into the woods to collect wood.  
No problems except one blown module about 5 years ago.
Always excellent starting, kinda expensive at the time, over $300. 
But seeing the service I've got out of it , money well spent.

I know some people that have bought the E-bay heis,  they seem to have  quality control problems.
Bad gears, shaft loose fit, porous casting, etc.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2021 at 4:08pm
I ran the Mallory HEI for years without issue used the original gear from the car, they didn't actually supply a gear with it and the instructions were to install your existing gear. My only issue is that they are a big ugly things.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2021 at 5:13pm
Years ago I was approached by a couple different importers and mfgs that were having them made in china and tawain about testing and making them right. The first mfgs stem was too short, drive tang was wrong, gear was too hard and cover was weird and hit parts of the valve cover. The second one the stem was the wrong diameter, the side of the case was clocked wrong with the vaccum advance, the gear was too hard and the drive tang pushed the oil pump gear down. The third had a hardened gear and the drive tang pushed the oil pump gear down. The 4th had everything right but the clamp collar was machined too deep so the oil pump gear shaft pushed the oil pump gear down and the gear was hardened too hard. At one point Skip white started importing these by the hundred and every one of them trashed AMC motors with the hardened gear they had. We sold so many distributor and cam gear setups it would boggle your mind. 1998-2013 we might have seen 4-5000 gear sets sold. But importers like Skip White simply told each and every customer they had never heard of an issue. Folks just did their own rebuilds at their own cost...but nobody figured out that most businesses have product liability insurance or at a minimum would pay for damages. I bet those stupid importers (Ok I can legally say that because none would make a change) costs the industry over a million dollars in AMC engine repairs.

We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic