TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

amc 360 build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmoree2141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amc 360 build
    Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 3:37pm
am 360 build i have .30 pistons, also elderbrock alum intake and eld 4 barrel carb  i need to know which cam and tappets do i use and need     NOT FOR RACING but just a little ump

BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 5:19pm
I picked the lunati voodoo for my similar build.  I am going with the 213/220 version for a true street car with low compression Lunati 10100701.  I have used the 226 duration version in higher compression engines 10100703.  Also using the 226 duration in a low-ish compression street strip car which will have aggressive gearing and a healthy converter so the low compression won't be an issue with the healthy cam.
But you can't go wrong with the small Summit cam.  Summit 8600.  I have run mid to high 12s with that cam in an otherwise stock 360

BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2021 at 5:23pm
what ever you do, you have to make sure you have sufficient retainer to guide clearance with any cam for amc.  I mention because the cams above are significantly higher lift than stock.  
Second thing to caution you on, beware that most all of the timing chain sets out there have either the oil feed notch for the distributor gear oiling passage in the wrong place or egregious ginormous slots on the aft face of the timing gear that bleed off all of the oil.  Or both.  

67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 1:23am
Call Mike Jones, tell him your specs, weight, tranny, axle ratio, etc., and you'll be happy with what he devises. My 343 is now 365, same displacement as yours will be. I also did not want a racing cam because I have no use for a car that looks fast but is a dog under 4000rpm. I went with 9.24 compression when I ordered my custom pistons to ensure I can run pump gas. The motor is blueprinted and uses very good parts so I'll never destroy it within its RPM range, but it's not a race motor. I might have the tiniest custom hydraulic cam of anyone I know, just 202/208, but it made 363HP and 417TQ. That was with an Edelbrock carb and overly rich AFR. The Q-650 racing carb on there now with the AFR tuned leaner has to be at least 25 better than those numbers based on my runs and stress on my cervical vertebrae when hitting the gas pedal.

Jones and his old man used to make cams for Indy cars, and he's also a genius with small cams. I don't have anything against Lunati or any of those old school grinds from the 60s or 70s, but technology has changed a lot in the last half-century. Jones' cams make more power AND vacuum for their duration than the archaic grinds (but are not as lopey if sounding tough is more important than streetable power), and the ones he makes for street cars are especially easy on the valvetrain and last a long time. My motor sounds fairly powerful, but almost as smooth as a stock motor, and it still revs to 5500 very fast. A hydraulic cam will cost you about $250 and the lifters he uses aren't cheap either, but that's still a bargain for the quality.

Edited by 67 Marlin - Apr/17/2021 at 1:25am
kmoree2141 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmoree2141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 9:34am
Thank you and all the rest for responding. 

Mike Jones sounds perfect for help. 

But, who is Mike Jones and how can I get in touch with him. 

Thank you in advance
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 10:56am
jonescams@bellsouth.net

704-489-2449

Located Denver, NC 25 miles North of Charlotte
kmoree2141 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmoree2141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 12:41pm
WELL YOU ALL HAVE EDUCATED ME

THANK YOU
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 12:45pm
A lot of good knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum.
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 1:34pm
Do you have the advertised numbers on that 202/208?
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Do you have the advertised numbers on that 202/208?

Here's the cam card. The exhaust lobe is a little longer because I wanted to rev strong past 5000rpm and not just torque it up. Also, I used 1.7 rockers; the lift at the valves on the card is for 1.6 rockers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic