TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC 360 - Bad sound after overheating (VIDEO)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2022 at 10:06pm
Do you guys happen to have a part number for those sealed power pistons.? 
I just had a 360 rebuilt for my Jeep and I used a set of sealed power pistons. I'll have to do some digging to find my part numbers, but I also used .60 over pistons in my Jeep build as that was all that I had on hand. I do know that I had them for quite a few years before I got around to using them. 
You know how a "budget" build is supposed to go. It's never seems to be in the "budget" range. LOL 
Thanks..!! 
EDIT:
Found my list of parts..
Sealed Power Pistons 362NP is what I have written down. 

Edited by BrotherBamc - Oct/27/2022 at 11:03pm
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2022 at 6:25am
With this piston scuffing issue, you can do one thing to provide some protection if your build is already in progress.
PO, would be to use a thinner engine oil.
A xW30 engine oil with a ILSAC rating of C3 or CE or an ACEA A3/B4 will provide High Temperature High Shear (HTHS). Thinner oil cools the engine better also. If the piston to cylinder clearance is closing up, you want to remove heat and also have lubrication film that will accommodate a tighter tolerance.
None of the common xW20 motor oils have good HTHS ratings, there may be some out there! 
The pore points of an xW20 vs an xW30 at 100 degrees C are almost identical.

J10_Shorty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J10_Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2022 at 5:24pm
A quick update -- regardless of how sideways this goes, you guys have been great with questions and advice so I'll be sure to bring you along.

Plan was to wait until this shop could get to my motor and see about doing a .060 piston. Which one, I don't know.  Then I found a rebuilt shortblock from well known machine shop.  All work done, .030 over, assembled and ready to go for a very reasonable price.  I'm likely going to have to swap out the pistons but for the price and fact it was ready to go, I decided to grab it.

I have 58cc chamber heads which I'm pretty sure means that a 343 flat top piston will put to too high a CR for my use case.  The plan would be to have new dished pistons pressed on and go from there.  I guess that brings me back to which pistons.  I can get a set of the Sealed Power units for a very reasonable price but after everything I'm reading I'm leaning towards a set of Wiseco forged units.  

The shorblock came with a Crane Cam 272-H in it which the person who ordered the build wanted.  I think I'll stick my me Comp XE256 but cam selection is certainly a lower priority at his point.

Edited by J10_Shorty - Nov/01/2022 at 7:42am
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2022 at 6:28pm
IMO you would be crazy to Sealed power cast pistons in it. You're much better off with a forged piston. Here's another example of more bad pistons. https://theamcforum.com/forum/forged-pistons-in-a-daily-driver-amc-360_topic117444.html

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
DMack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2022 at 11:07am
[QUOTE=Mopar_guy]IMO you would be crazy to Sealed power cast pistons in it. You're much better off with a forged piston. Here's another example of more bad pistons. https://theamcforum.com/forum/forged-pistons-in-a-daily-driver-amc-360_topic117444.html

I've got to agree with Mopar_guy 100%!  Go with a forged piston.  When I was asking the Forum for some recommendations on pistons, the "Wiseco" pistons got referred over & over.
DMack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2022 at 11:14am
Sealed Power 362NP were the pistons I had in mine.  I'd also be curious to hear what everybody thinks is a proper bore to piston clearance.  I've heard as low as 1/1000th to as large as 2.5/1000th.  Has anyone gone higher than 2.5?  I would think you'd get piston "slap" on cold start up with any more clearance than 2.5. 
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2022 at 11:16am
J10_Shorty Those 343 pistons are most likely .020" or more shorter than stock compression height so your compression with the 343 slugs already in the new short block are probably just fine for pump gas because those 343 slugs are a MILE down in the hole in the block are they not ?
J10_Shorty View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J10_Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2022 at 1:19pm
PHAT69AMX - thanks for the reply and I was honestly hoping that would be a possibility.  The piston in the pic above wasn't at true TDC but I've taken another one.  Best I can tell with a straight edge and my digital caliper is around .035 in the hole.

I started reading about 343 pistons in a 360 online and honestly got so confused I practically give up on the idea.  I know I've got stock rods, crank, and the block isn't decked but I'm not 100% on everything else.   All the treads I found pointed to getting down to close to 10:1 with some special tricks. Some mentioned clearance with counterweights as well. 

If I knew for sure with my 58cc heads I could get under 10:1 then I'd certainly be open to it as they seem to be a decent piston.  I'm not running a big cam so I don't suspect valve clearance is an issue either.  Outside of that I think I'll have to just do the safe thing and order the Wiseco dished forged pistons.

Edited by J10_Shorty - Nov/01/2022 at 1:45pm
Joseph Lamb View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2022 at 4:51pm
dear member !!!

that sound is what I would call pre-TERMINAL 

do not drive that old beauty .

Pull her out and tear her down untill you find the cause , please .

That does not really sound like regular valve train noise to me and my friends .

Sorry for your poor luck , I tow a 13 foot whaler with my Javelin and know how you feel .

Joe in Tampa Florida Home of the Free .
1971 Javelin 360 SST
1973 RS Z28 350 L82 4SPD 38
YEARS

1958 Chevy Biscayne 235 powerglide
1997 Jeep TJ 151 5 speed
1960 Lark Convertible
Joseph Lamb View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joseph Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2022 at 4:53pm
ooops, you already did !!!
1971 Javelin 360 SST
1973 RS Z28 350 L82 4SPD 38
YEARS

1958 Chevy Biscayne 235 powerglide
1997 Jeep TJ 151 5 speed
1960 Lark Convertible
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic