TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Am I dropping my transmission?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I dropping my transmission?
    Posted: Jul/24/2022 at 8:00pm
I'm assuming yes considering I was having some starting issues. If someone thinks I'm wrong, please by all means let me know an alternative.

It may have solved my "what crank sensor/reluctor to use" quandry though, since I'll assuredly throw a flexplate with a reluctor in as well as an OEM style sensor.

Edited by Mr_Roboto - Jul/24/2022 at 8:02pm
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2022 at 8:39pm
are you refering to the teeth on the flexplate?
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2022 at 8:54pm
Yeah, not sure if it's passable being chewed like that. Reading online there should be 1/4-3/8 engagement with the flexplate, so I'm leaning towards no. I am pretty sure it starts freewheeling when it hits a compression stroke so I am expecting to find this in 3 spots on the flexplate. It has at least that spot though.
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2022 at 10:57pm
The teeth look pretty worn at the bottom of the opening.  Even if this was the only area I'd be changing the flex plate, so yes you'll be removing the transmission.
Bill O.
70 AMX
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2022 at 11:45pm
To bad it's not a manual transmission. You could flip the ring gear. Automatics you have to get a replacement flex plate. If you want to limp it along until cooler weather just grab the pulley belt on the engine and turn the crankshaft about 30 degrees until it get to a spot with good teeth. Ultimately it will have to be replaced, but I turned the crankshaft for years on an old car I had to get it started.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2022 at 12:53am
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

To bad it's not a manual transmission. You could flip the ring gear. Automatics you have to get a replacement flex plate. If you want to limp it along until cooler weather just grab the pulley belt on the engine and turn the crankshaft about 30 degrees until it get to a spot with good teeth. Ultimately it will have to be replaced, but I turned the crankshaft for years on an old car I had to get it started.

Tom

I decided I was going to pull it. More than anything I wanted someone to say I was up a creek on this. The starter's not chewed up at all and I'm having problems trying to crank so it's time for it to go I think. Driveshafts are loose and I've gotta get to dropping the crossmember tomorrow to get the next steps started.

It gets through part of a rotation, hits a compression stroke and then says no. I'm curious what I find, I think I could have up to 3 spots like that one for each set of compression strokes. That said, the biggest thing is the headache of getting the box out to swap it. I'm going to add a 4.0L crank sensor and flexplate at the same time, along with a mini starter so it's not all a big loss. Just costs time and headache as much as anything.

I'm thinking about getting a converter to toss in while I'm in there. I'd like to have a K-factor of about 170 which would stall at 2600ish RPM with the torque a typical 4.0 makes. I may forego that for simplicity. I'd also like to ditch the stock pan with a DIY drain plug in it that seems to leak like a sieve and put some new seals in probably. Cleaning wouldn't hurt either honestly.

Edited by Mr_Roboto - Jul/25/2022 at 12:55am
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2022 at 8:07am
Flipping the ring gear that costs a whole 20 bucks to replace on a manual flywheel makes as much sense as turning your underwear inside out.
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2022 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Flipping the ring gear that costs a whole 20 bucks to replace on a manual flywheel makes as much sense as turning your underwear inside out.

The ones with the racing stripe, right? Tongue
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2022 at 4:15pm
I've never TIG welded before but it seems possible you could put some weld on those teeth and file them back to normal again.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2022 at 4:58pm
Was sure that the ring gear was the same for the flex plate or flywheel. Summit seems to agree:
Why not just replace the ring gear?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic