TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aluminum or Iron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 5:14am
Originally posted by Lenni AMC Lenni AMC wrote:

I would go with the new Edelbrock Victor JR or a ported Torker intake manifold if I were you
good luck on the victor JR. Still waiting for mine
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 9:04am
Anyone mention that with the Edelbrock's you'll avoid the potential for cracking on the lower head bolt bosses on an iron head?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 10:12am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Anyone mention that with the Edelbrock's you'll avoid the potential for cracking on the lower head bolt bosses on an iron head?
Aftermarket should just call it quits on supporting these iron lungs.

POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 10:35am
I see no one has mentioned that with Alum. heads you can run a little more compression safely...
Thought Holley and Eldy. were sister companies?

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 10:51am
You could run a little more compression with aluminum heads, but 11.25:1 would dictate a different fuel also. You would not likely be wanting the KB pistons either.
If the OP didn't have the short block already done, Edelbrock heads and new forged pistons for 10.5:1 would likely be the way to go.
PO, the more after market support the better. But you have to look at the whole build to determine what your going to use. When you start with a part build, there are usually restrictions on directions you can go.
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 11:49am
You will spend more modifying a set of iron heads...imo.

A set of Indy SR's with a good cleanup is the only way to go and the motor will  not have to be anything radical to get the 500 horsepower that you want.

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Nov/29/2022 at 11:55am
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
DragRacingSpirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DragRacingSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 11:54am
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

Stock rods with ARP bolts and keith black pistons gonna hold up at 7000 RPM?

I personally would not use the stock rods......unless they are new or next to new with low cycles. Then you will be ok.

The piston choice is questionable at best if they are a Hyper type piston. If you have not yet ordered the camshaft yet their are much better choices.

My O2

Edited by DragRacingSpirit - Nov/29/2022 at 12:48pm
Best 1/4 mile 8.99, 1/8 mile 5.71, 60 foot 1.27, no power adders
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by POS #1 POS #1 wrote:

I see no one has mentioned that with Alum. heads you can run a little more compression safely...
Thought Holley and Eldy. were sister companies?

I know that comps cams and Edelbrock are owned by the same company.   
bulletpruf View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulletpruf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 1:14pm
New aluminum heads for me; less chances of pulling your hair out if you end up with a cracked head, some that have been decked, amateur ported, stripped holes, worn out valve guides, in need of new seats, etc. 
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck shenanigans! https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 2:59pm
If I am not mistaken, the Edelbrock are 54 cc and the Indy are 60cc.  Iron can be anywhere from 51 to 62 so figure out what pistons you have and make sure you have the right heads for your compression goals.  I ran the next bigger Crower cam with 10.75 to one and it worked well on the street, so your 10.5 to one goal sounds about right.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic