TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Aluminum or Iron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM XTASY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

Save 50+ lbs and get a far better head, go Aluminum.

That and the cool factor of aluminum heads are what is making the argument. But the damn car is going to be so light as it is, it’s a large chunk of change for fifty pounds, especially when I can just tell the wife to stay home!
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 4:21pm
I always go for the weight advantage of of aluminum.
they call me Capt RETIRED!
AM XTASY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM XTASY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by mbwicz mbwicz wrote:

Stock rods with ARP bolts and keith black pistons gonna hold up at 7000 RPM?
  Plan on some oil drainback mods as well if you will be running high RPM and generating high G-forces.  The oil tends to collect in the heads.

Hope so or we may have a few more satellites above us! There is more done to them, I was just para-phasing. My machinist has been in the business since the ‘70’s and his father before that. He pretty confident in the build and I’ve never seen his stuff break either… yet. He managed to get 500 out of my fathers 351c with stock heads and a Ford experimental intake and 300 out of a 250 inline six Chevy that’s been running strong for five years now, sister learned manual on that poor one with a column shift. 

I am doing some heavy oiling mods. Starting with Aviad oil pan with the external pick up. Bull Tear’s oiling upgrade with the nickle plated timing cover. Remote oil filters and a cooler. Timing cover oil mod, and the valley line. Thought I read somewhere that drilling holes in the lifter valley to improved drain back too if someone can confirm or I can just search for it I guess! Let me know if I missed anything.
AM XTASY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM XTASY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Lenni AMC Lenni AMC wrote:

Either get ported iron or ported Edelbrocks from John Rossello (jcisworthy) @ RBJ Racing 

IMO you won't be seeing an easy 500hp with a dual plane. I would go with the new Edelbrock Victor JR or a ported Torker intake manifold if I were you

Yeah I have been worried about that but it’s not the end of the world if I loose a bit of power. Saw a dual throttle bodied LS disguised as a nail head and it was gorgeous so I’m ok with the hit for some coolness under the hood. Also I like offy, just impossible to find a single plane of theirs and then there is the whole working for Holley thing. Some how Offy’s are cool but Eddie’s are the plague.

The car should also handle like it’s on rails and stop on a dime so a couple of missing horsies should not be to noticeable.
AM XTASY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AM XTASY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

I always go for the weight advantage of of aluminum.

You guys are not great financial advisers by the way!LOL
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 5:08pm
If you go with John's suggestion of the Edelbrock heads, your looking at very much achieving your goals, 560+ HP @ 6900 RPM.
The only problem is this is not 10.5:1 but 11.25:1 SCR.
Don't know what fuel your planning to run.
Ported Iron heads, 61cc combustion chamber, 280 CFM flow will be 10.4:1 and 470 HP @ 5600 RPM. 
And you should be able to run 91, definitely 93 octane if it's available to you.
Believe these numbers better represent a choice vs 50 lbs of weight difference.
AM XTASY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM XTASY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

If you go with John's suggestion of the Edelbrock heads, your looking at very much achieving your goals, 560+ HP @ 6900 RPM.
The only problem is this is not 10.5:1 but 11.25:1 SCR.
Don't know what fuel your planning to run.
Ported Iron heads, 61cc combustion chamber, 280 CFM flow will be 10.4:1 and 470 HP @ 5600 RPM. 
And you should be able to run 91, definitely 93 octane if it's available to you.
Believe these numbers better represent a choice vs 50 lbs of weight difference.

Numbers like those are greatly appreciated. That was my other reason with the Indy’s, 61cc’s. Would like to run 91, though as a refugee of the north, down here in NC I believe 93 is readily available.

The further and further we get into this thread the more I’m leaning towards sticking with the irons. My mock up 401 has a pair of 502 heads on it. Also have a pair of them back in NY too. Finding conflicting information on the cc size on them though. Some say 61 some say 58. Is there a more appropriate casting number then what I have for what I’m after? Thanks!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 6:34pm
The 502's are 60.1cc according to a reliable member source, Ken, who has also provided most of the head flow numbers posted at the beginning of the V8 thread.
Just polishing the combustion chambers out a little while porting will easily provide the 61cc.
Of note, it will likely cost the same to have the iron heads ported as the Edelbrock's out of the box.

AM XTASY View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM XTASY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2022 at 7:09pm
Having more then one set, I will probably attempt to do it myself. I have a bit of machine and fabrication experience plus a couple of coworkers that have ported and polished quite a few time before. Have nothing but time as I await my saving account to replenish for a welder now.

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2022 at 4:57am
  Ditto on the cost, a set of iron heads (re-built and ported)
will cost as much or more than Aluminum heads.

Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic