TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Alternator for generator in my '59

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator for generator in my '59
    Posted: Jul/29/2021 at 3:51pm
A few years back I decided to keep my generator in the '59 Super OHV six and had it serviced.  Well, it's beginning to make noises and the idiot light stays on longer than it did before.  -sigh-  I think I'd like to replace it with an alternator and have a little more peace of mind.
I've used one-wire GM types in my old Studebakers with good results, and hoping a simple conversion might work here too.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Oh, will new mounting hardware have to be fabricated or is there something that will fit the 195.6?
Thanks!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2021 at 10:52pm
Look in the Electrical section, there will be many threads there about this.

You don't really want a so-called one-wire. Three-wire are better, and easy to wire. And common and cheap.

Dunno what to do about mounting, but I too have to solve this in the next week. I'm using a Delco 10si because I got one for $40.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 12:52am
Guess I should have posted there in the first place, but thought an alternator/generator was engine related.
After reading a few threads there, I'm even more confused.  There's an excellent auto electric shop in my city and I think I'll take my car over there.
Thanks!
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 5:05pm
That's a good idea. I put a cs130 in mine with good results. The amp capacity is way up there around a hundred and they charge well at a low idle which IMO is the most important feature. There are different styles with different ways of mounting them and the electric shop guys will probably be able to show you one that requires not to much bracket modification. 

Edited by vinny - Jul/30/2021 at 5:15pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2021 at 11:05pm
Really high current will melt your wiring harness, should you run your battery really dead. 

I have a lovely, tiny, Mitsubishi alternator in my roadster, superb quality, and 35 amps. "Three wire". Someone gave it to me. They're expensive, but my first choice.

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 3:31am
Does your generator have sealed bearings? Most generators back then did not and had oil cups that had to be lubricated as part of routine maintenance. That might be why it's noisy. Or, the brushes need replacement. Possibly the person who rebuilt it made a mistake.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 10:20am
I have watched on J-leno garage he sometimes has the generators turned into alternators. Like the generator guts are taken out and an alternator is put in there. Not sure who provides this service.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 12:09pm
Yes it depends on how much you want to keep the original look and how much you want to pay for it. On mine the alternator is down low and hardly visible. When I put in a higher capacity alternator (89 Pontiac Safari) I also upgraded the wiring from the alternator to the battery.

Tomj do you have a listing so one could find that 35A?

Edited by vinny - Jul/31/2021 at 12:26pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 10:20pm
Here's from my notes. THe wiring part of the note is old; i figured it out later. I'll retrieve it off my schematics later.

Mitsubishi A1T25077. 35A, same as Dixie A-8829. in "T"-shaped recess, the T top is start signal (ignition, closer to output stud), the T vertical is indicator lamp. to ground? to 12V? Bearing (front and rear) is 15mm id 35mm OD 11mm thick. NSK 6202

Edited by tomj - Jul/31/2021 at 11:09pm

First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 3:09pm
Well if you want to rebuild the generator again I can turn the armature on my lathe. I even have the special armature support chuck. You have to undercut the mica with a hacksaw blade though. I aint doing that fer free lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic