TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Adding dash AC vents (but not AC)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding dash AC vents (but not AC)
    Posted: Jul/16/2019 at 2:31pm
OK, before someone asks, "What the heck are you tryin' to do?" let me explain. Restoring a '74 AMX that didn't have AC. The entire dash (crashpad) was too far gone to re-use, so I found another one - this time with the AC vents in the dash; driver and pax. Those things are SO hard to find, in decent shape. I don't want all the hassle of adding AC to the car, as I'm probably only driving it in mild weather. It would be nice to have some kind of airflow through the vents - but not mandatory.

I've scoured using the site SEARCH function and can't find anything close and please, I hope it's nothing more than adding the dash vent ducting (which I found on Ebay for sale) and replacing the Weather Eye control panel. I've currently got the entire dash out and access to the wiring, cables and ducting.
I currently have the TSM for the car, along with several AMC/AMX restoration books and none of them address this.

Any help greatly appreciated.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2019 at 3:09pm
Look at a parts manual. Most likely there's a different HVAC housing for the a/c cars that has the needed outlets for the dash registers. Was their a Command Air option from 71 through 74? Command Air in 69 and 70 used the a/c blower, the a/c blower housing and the a/c vents but without the a/c cooling hardware. Not sure if the hvac control head differed, could have as the non a/c cars had a two speed blower and the a/c cars had a three speed setup using a single speed blower motor and dropping resistors.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2019 at 3:49pm
Hi. I am trying to add AC to a 1972 AMX that is a non AC car. the TSM I have list the system as a series 70? Air control box and system I think. Any way If any body can help with adding factory air I could use some advice. I am new so not sure if this reply is correct or not. I have never seen a javelin with AC vents and no AC. The diagrams in the TSM do not show controls for dash vent for fresh air just in the section marked ALL Season AC section 12 B. Hope this helps.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2019 at 4:58pm
Wow, at first glance it looks like 72_AMX has everything 3250man needs and vise versa. It really depends on console, manual or automatic ...
You two, I believe, can PM each other and make arrangements to swap parts!
3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2019 at 5:21pm
Thanks Trader. I will check with 72_AMX a bit later.

72_AMX:  Yes, the series for both our cars is Series 70 (from the research I've done). I'm leaning in the direction of installing all the air blower/vent parts for the AC system, just not the compressor, cooling lines, evap, etc. I will need to find the "Desert Only" AC control panel. Also gotta get the gauge metal backing and turned metal tape-on covers that goes around the gauges - for the AC vents.
I think the wiring is there, but I'll have a look again tonight. I got one of those color-coded, laminated wiring diagrams that is cool has heck for tracing our wires.
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 2:02pm
The control panel you are looking for is at Sibum's Auto Parts in PA. phone is 717-774-1190. They have listed in Hollanders exchange as W/Air Weather Eye Stock # ED42717 price 35.00 Dollars confirmed today that they still have it. That should be the correct one. Maybe call and see if they can send a picture.
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 2:03pm
If that is not correct. Conrad's Auto recyling in OH 800-227-7278 also list one.
3250man View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3250man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 3:02pm
Awesome 72_AMX; thanks.
I'm on it!!
72_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 8:36am
You are welcome hope it helps
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 8:55am
Do you have the bezels in the pad? If you do you can put Vintage Air louvers in like I did and with some hose hook them up to whatever.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic