TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ac question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryder6330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ac question
    Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 5:18pm
hey guys
I am trying to retrofit a modern ac system, to the original amc controls. - None of which I have but it looks like I can get the right stuff for my car if I need it. Not cheap though so I need to make sure I am not wasting my money.
The car is a 70 Rebe V8, and here in Australia no AMC car came over with the factory type AC this is all new territory for me.

What I have is a 4 spd fan, driven by a resistor switch - AMC was 3 spd is that right? mine is 2spd - no ac. I am happy to give up one speed.
the heat/cool is driven by a cable so thats easy.
there is a vacuum control switch that controls all the heater box flaps etc to push the air where its wanted.
This also controls the heater tap - although I can easily stick to the cable unit.
So all I really need to know is how to control the compressor.
I had a Jeep Wrangler with a hard wired compressor on the AC, it worked well but always froze and I had to keep turning it off and on.

I have a 70 wiring diagram, but I just need that translated into actual parts. I have seen the AC thermostat.
The wiring diagram refers to a heater switch and AC control. Are these parcelled up into the one unit, or are there two seperate items

If I cant keep it original than I will just mount the relevant stuff under the dash.

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2012 at 5:51pm
I put aftermarket AC in two of my Rogues. The thermostat in the evaporator controls the cycle of the compressor. When the evaporator gets cold enough that it is nearing the freezing point, the compressor cycles off, then comes back on when the evaporator warms up. I also ran the compressor wire through a high/low pressure switch on the dryer so if it goes over pressure or has a refrigerant leak, the compressor will shut down. The temperature control on the evaporator is wired into the circuit to make the compressor run cycle appropriate for the desired temperature.

Edited by 6768rogues - Apr/22/2012 at 5:52pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 11:55am
I'm looking at the 70 TSM (you might want to get one!). No AC Rebels just had three controls, TEMP, AIR, and DEF, with the two speed fan on the AIR slide. AC cars have four slides -- those three plus an outside air vent control to the left. The fan switch for AIR (heat) and DEF is still on one of those (just says LO and HI between them, no indication as to which controls speed). The AC fan is on the outside air control. The fan and AC control switch are built together. When the AC fan is off the AC compressor is off, compressor is on (cycled through the AC t-stat control) when the fan is on in any speed.

Javelins and earlier big cars used a rotary switch for the fan/AC control. You might want to wire one of those in somewhere. All you really need is a four position rotary switch (one position is off). Wire it so that no matter what speed the fan is on it powers the AC compressor (from switch to thermostat then to compressor). One way to do it is to put a jumper from all three fan speed positions to the AC control. To prevent feedback to the different fan speeds put a diode in each of the three lines.

Edited by farna - May/04/2012 at 11:58am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic