TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

86 sport Cherokee I-6 swap?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 86 sport Cherokee I-6 swap?
    Posted: Jun/05/2014 at 10:13pm
Well, I've been on the look out for a clean AMC since I sold my Javelin and I'm getting a super clean 86 Cherokee with a 4 cylinder (151 I assume), and 4 speed tomorrow. Not sure if its 2wd or 4wd, I have only seen pics. The engine is toast, 72K on the truck. I have a 82 258 that runs strong that I would like to swap in. I assume the bellhousing has some sort of multi-case pattern to accept the I-6. Any pitfalls to look out for? Thanks so much for the wisdom, I will post pics!
Rustbelt Rules! 258/SR4 looking for a car to put it in . Florence,Colorado
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2014 at 12:55am
Nope. The pattern is the same as 60 degree GM V6 (2.8 up to Caddy Northstar V8) You can upgrade with a TJ 4 cyl and EFI. It might be an SR4 or T4 trans but most likely AX4 or 5. 4x4 parts bolt right it. I converted my Comanche in '02.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2014 at 7:35am
since its an '86, I *think* the firewall was changed in 1987 so the 4.0 would fit.................................
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2014 at 8:33am
The 1986 Jeep according to Wikipedia was the first year for the use of the Jeep derived 2.5L 4 cylinder engine which was a variation of the 6 cylinder AMC Inline 6 engine.
The 151 4 cylinder engine which was purchases from GM had the same bell housing bolt pattern of the Chevrolet V8, not an AMC pattern.
OR other GM engines as pointed out.
However AMC continued the use of the GM bolt pattern on the new 4 cylinder engine.
As long as that is true, the 258 will not bolt up to the existing drive train.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2014 at 3:34pm
1984 was the first year of AMC 2.5L and 1986 was first year it was fuel injected. I still have a 904 flexplate for one with Renix TBI.

GM 151 never was used in the XJs. Just CJs, Postal Jeeps and Eagles/Spirits till '83. The 151 was SBC 90 degree patterned, but the XJ only got 60 degree with AMC 4 and Chev 2.8 V6 which went away after '86.

258 still won't bolt to it, BUT if it's an SR4/5 or T4/5 then you could swap an Eagle 4.2L bellhousing to it. Firewall changed mid '86. If it's an AX-4/5 you MIGHT be able to swap the bell and run a RWD Toyota Corolla or Corona motor. (maybe even a 2LT diesel)
Manfred View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2014 at 12:11am
Wow, that is some amazing knowledge, I'm a bit lost on the new (80's what am I saying "new"..) AMC cars. I got it home today, its clean! Its a 5 speed, that is nice. I'm really not a GM engine enthusiast but it looks like rebuilding the 2.5 is my best bet. I do have an sr4 bellhousing from a Pacer..that won't help my cause though. Thanks for the help!
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2014 at 7:52pm
That 2.5 is NOT, repeat NOT GM MADE! Wink It's the same motor used in TJs until 2002 with minor changes to the head. That plus EFI. Find a YJ someone is swapping to 4.0L and get the EFI to go with it for more ponies and torque.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Straight-4_engine
105 hp new with carb
117 hp with Renix TBI
120 hp with MPFI ('91 up)

Another way to add more oomph to the MPFI one is swap on a 4.0L throttlebody to let more air in (but they whistle)
Manfred View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 9:26am
Thanks for setting me straight on the drivetrain. I'm very new to the eighties AMC's. Well I got the Cherokee home its an 85 with the 150 4 cylinder and a 5 speed! Since my 82 258 will not be an easy swap I'm leaning towards a rebuild of the 150. Any thoughts on durability and parts availability? I have heard they are good for about 20 mpg, that is o.k. but I would like to get it a bit better. I'm kinda in the middle of no-where and its 100 miles to go anywhere. I will get the pics up this week. It's a nice ride...
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 1:51pm
85 will be carbed. My last '86 Comanche finally popped the headgasket at 300,000+ miles. My son rebuilt it and ran it till someone speeding Tee boned him a few months ago.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2014 at 9:56am
I don't know of any Jeep 2.5L speed parts right off. You can get a better exhaust and air cleaner/filter, but that's about it. The best performance upgrade would be ae Jim suggested -- a later model EFI system. The TBI system was only used a few years, but IIRC it has a separate wiring harness -- the EFI harness is separate from the body wiring. The MPI system has the harnesses integrated into one. It's still not too hard to change the entire under hood harness though, and that's the way I'd do it. You might have to rearrange a few wires on the firewall connector and maybe add one or two, but changing everything is a bit easier than separating the EFI and body wiring.

If you keep the carb there are some carb adapters, but I don't know what would be suitable for the four. Maybe a 350 cfm Holley 2300 or Motorcraft 2150? The 195 cfm Carter BBD from a 258 might even be a good choice. You can also call some of the cam companies and see what they would recommend for a re-grind. The stock cam can be improved a good bit, you just need to send them a good used one and an idea of what you want from it.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic