TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

84 Eagle wiper issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlg69j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 84 Eagle wiper issues
    Posted: Mar/13/2023 at 6:52pm
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I believe my intermittent wiper switch and governor are bad. They only run on high, yet bypassing the switch and putting 12V on the motor gives high and low speed so I know the motor is fine. The switch is grounded. My question is: which Ford switch and module should be used? Dennis Carpenter sells two different switches but apparently the same module. I would like to keep the washer function.

Thanks!
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2023 at 7:43pm
I haven't messed with those since the 80's but as I recall there were 2 different lengths of the shaft that the knob attached to
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2023 at 10:15pm
Have you looked at a PULL A PART yard?  80s Fords had dash switches some had modules attached.  The module could be disconnected from the switch. Look for a Ford with a washer tank.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 1:28pm
Unless it's somewhere in podunk, I haven't seen an 80's vehicle in a boneyard since the mid 90's
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 9:01pm
Rock auto has the switch but not the module for intermittent wipers.

Nick
nick
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2023 at 9:07pm
nick
mlg69j View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlg69j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2023 at 4:04am
Thank you for the help, Nick. It appears the 80's Ford system does not include provision for the washer, but late 70's does. I've ordered one from Dennis Carpenter so we'll see how it works.
mlg69j View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlg69j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2023 at 5:05pm
Dennis Carpenter part # D10Z-17A553-A switch and D8TZ-17C476-A intermittent wiper control are near exact replacements for the original AMC parts. From a wiring and functionality standpoint they are identical, (wash switch, intermittent, low, and high) but the switch stem is larger diameter which means drilling the instrument panel with a 7/16" bit and making a 7/16-20 nut to fit the switch. The limiting factor is socket diameter that will fit in the hole in the panel, which is a 1/2" socket. I drilled a 5/16 nut and tapped it for the 7/16 thread, and also ran a 7/16-20 die over the switch stem. It worked perfectly and is much easier to work with than the factory slotted nut.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic