TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

82 Eagle liftback fuel cell in stock location?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 82 Eagle liftback fuel cell in stock location?
    Posted: Aug/14/2022 at 11:17pm
Okay, so my tank is likely able to be cleaned out and sealed but it's going to be $200. I have a sender/gauge setup for a CJ5 but it's going to require significant work to fit the tank and have the sender work correctly. It looks like the specialty stores have em but it's $180 for the sender its self. so I think that for a few bucks more I get a fuel cell vs a stock tank. Since it's a Spirit based car from what I've seen/understand you can't really get a stock tank.

I'm looking at this cell from Summit, I think that it would fit extremely well in the stock location. 

This would be the cell I would use.

I would then use this neck. After that I would tie the neck into the stock line and go from there. I would subsequently tie the other lines into one of the vent holes then have the other vent hole with a rollover vent in it. 

I think I'd need 2" spacing from the floor pan for it to work. I would go to mcmaster and buy some 2" box tubing to space it, then I think I could use stock or modified tank straps. 

I'd love to hear why this is a bad idea, I'd love to hear any more about someone who's done this before. 
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 10:22am
When I did a complete renewal of my the tank in my '79 Spirit about a year and a half ago (EvapoRust for dozens of days, mechanical cleaning, POR-15 fuel tank treatment, etc.), I just about wished I'd gone straight to a fuel cell.  However, you're trading one set of frustrations for others, and the tradeoff is up to you.  I won't say this is a bad idea at all.

As for the sender, if you're going to have 2" of space, you don't need a $180 sender.  I ordered direct from ISSPRO and was able to get a custom length and the proper resistance curve (240-33 ohm) for $65 shipped, and it only took a couple of weeks.

Edited by Scrappy - Aug/16/2022 at 10:24am
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 11:07am
Is the later stuff 240-33 ohm? I was looking on Ebay and found an early 70s Javelin one for about $70 that looked as if it would fit well.
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Mr_Roboto Mr_Roboto wrote:

Is the later stuff 240-33 ohm?

From my research here in this forum, comparing parts data online, and it working in my Spirit, yes.  I wouldn't have suggested that resistance range if I was just guessing.

I was looking on Ebay and found an early 70s Javelin one for about $70 that looked as if it would fit well.

If that's what you want, do what you want.  I have no dog in this fight other than telling you what I know to work.  I guess I don't see the point in wanting an AMC part to fit an aftermarket fuel cell unless you already had the part.  So long as you know the ohms match and the swing is appropriate for the fuel cell's height, do as you wish. 

Edited by Scrappy - Aug/16/2022 at 11:22am
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 11:28am
I meant an OE Javelin sender that looks like it would fit into a stock tank. 

If I did a cell I'd obviously just get a matching sensor from them; Heck it's 40 bucks no reason to mess around adapting something.
Scrappy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 11:33am

I meant an OE Javelin sender that looks like it would fit into a stock tank.

That wasn't evident, given the discussion to that point had seemed to have been about fitting an aftermarket fuel cell.
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 11:39am
Pardon, I'm kind of waffling at the moment. I think this is going to be a moderate to massive headache either way just trying to debate which is the lesser of two headaches; Using an OEM setup is likely the more efficient way to go in time, effort and money but not really sure if it's a great thing long term or if having the fuel cell would be better.

I also think I'm about to need a filler neck, the rubber part. Any preferred source for those? I think I'd end up tying into that even with a fuel cell.

May just end up doing an in tank pump initially then going to a surge tank if I wind up with slosh issues.

Edited by Mr_Roboto - Aug/16/2022 at 11:47am
79 SPirit View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 SPirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 1:37pm
I would try and use the stock tank at all costs as there just isnt any room to work with in the stock location with a fuel cell when you factor in the fill on the top. Second choice would be a custom tank if $$$ arent prohibitive. Im lucky my tank is good and I am using the RobbMC gremlin sending unit with an aftermarket gauge. There is a vendor on ebay that sells stock replacement Spirit sending units as well
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2022 at 11:33pm
Took it to a rad shop today, they told me it was going to be some crazy price to deal with boiling and coating it due to the condition like 600-1K. I'll probably wind up with a second opinion but I wouldn't be surprised if they're right. I'm thinking fuel cell if that's the case. I may as well have something new, racey, that has room to grow into and is easier to set up with a modern EFI System.

Looks like JB Weld over silver solder.

Edited by Mr_Roboto - Aug/16/2022 at 11:35pm
Mr_Roboto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Roboto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2022 at 9:15pm
This is what I'm thinking. I did a bit of test fitting. The angles are just to get the spacing right. I'd use 2" box steel as spacers in this case.

The real fuel cell would be about 1" deeper, although it may be a bit less than 1" deeper. I think the dimensions of the box (6" tall) doesn't include the cardboard width either in this case. I should really measure that. I'll obviously need to rework the mounting bolts a bit as well, but that's not impossible. I wonder if I can get a few different lengths or something. Worse comes to worse I think I can cut and rethread these.

The sawzall blade represents the center of the filler hole. I think this is actually pretty workable. May need some hammering but nothing insurmountable by any means.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic