TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

8.8 Ford Rear End

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8.8 Ford Rear End
    Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 3:43pm
I'm needing some input or your experience with the Ford 8.8 rear end. I'm looking at using one in my Gremlin project and was wondering what would be the best one to start with since there are several different widths of 8.8's.

I do know I want 31 spline axles a limited slip, but would like to know what others have used as far as housings go. I have a chance to pick up an 8.8 out of a Ford Explorer that has 31 spline axles, Posi, 373's, and disc brakes.

Right now I'm waiting for the owner to get back to me with the width of the housing so I don't even know if the Explorer housing will work for me.

Thanks for the help!!
   Dennis 

Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 3:54pm
I used an Explorer 8.8 rear in my 67 Rambler.   The factory pinion is offset about 3" to the right because the Explorer is 4x4.   If you get a second short side axle and have the long side housing cut to fit, it brings it down to 56 5/8" wide (stock is 60") and centers the diff.  It is quite heavy.   I cut a lot of unnecessary cast iron brackets off the pumpkin, and removed the ABS tone ring and plugged the sensor hole.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 3:58pm
Dennis

This site is a good resource on the various 8.8 rear ends.

Adam

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

I used an Explorer 8.8 rear in my 67 Rambler.   The factory pinion is offset about 3" to the right because the Explorer is 4x4.   If you get a second short side axle and have the long side housing cut to fit, it brings it down to 56 5/8" wide (stock is 60") and centers the diff.  It is quite heavy. 
Bob
tufcj

He's right. It's pretty common to cut 2" or so off of the left side and use another right side axle. You won't break it and there's a ton of aftermarket for it.

Edited by Mopar_guy - Aug/10/2022 at 5:36pm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2022 at 4:58pm
Dennis,
The difference in axle length short side to long side is closer to 3 inches.  At the pull a part yard the 8.8 cost $125 plus $25 for a short side axle.  I weld and did it myself.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 9:56am
I hope this isn't too much of a side track.

I plan to put an 8.8 in my 69 AMX. Seems like a pretty easy way to get a strong rear end at a reasonable cost. Rear disks are an added plus. 

I was reading another post about options for installing rear disks. Rustic makes a kit for the AMC OEM rear end. They have a note that says "NOTE: All AMX and some others cannot use parking brake calipers if your axle has torque bars."

That got me wondering, can the torque links be made to work with the 8.8? 
Mike
motorhead_1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motorhead_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 2:50pm
i used an explorer in my 69 american. cut off both ends and welded on big ford ends and moser axles and wilwood calipers
69 SC/Rambler tribute 401/th400, 68 Rebel SST LSA, 66 F100 460/c6, 88 Merkur Xr4Ti, 71 Jaguar XJ6 LS1, 08 Supercharged Tundra
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 8:49am
Originally posted by Nardo Nardo wrote:

I hope this isn't too much of a side track.

I plan to put an 8.8 in my 69 AMX. Seems like a pretty easy way to get a strong rear end at a reasonable cost. Rear disks are an added plus. 

I was reading another post about options for installing rear disks. Rustic makes a kit for the AMC OEM rear end. They have a note that says "NOTE: All AMX and some others cannot use parking brake calipers if your axle has torque bars."

That got me wondering, can the torque links be made to work with the 8.8? 

The "parking brake calipers" reference is to GM style calipers with a parking brake function. On the Explorer rear, the caliper isn't involved in the parking brake function. The Explorer parking brake is cable-operated, just like the stock drum system, and in fact uses shoes inside the rotor, with the inside rotor surface functioning as the parking brake "drum."
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Nardo View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2022 at 9:26am

[/QUOTE]

The "parking brake calipers" reference is to GM style calipers with a parking brake function. On the Explorer rear, the caliper isn't involved in the parking brake function. The Explorer parking brake is cable-operated, just like the stock drum system, and in fact uses shoes inside the rotor, with the inside rotor surface functioning as the parking brake "drum."
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! 
Mike
amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2022 at 12:34pm
I put an 8.8 in my 75 gremlin and did nothing to it other than put new spring hangers on. The driveshaft is off centered to the right side but not that bad.It came out of an explorer. And cut the other brackets off
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic