TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

8.5 PSI of fuel pressure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8.5 PSI of fuel pressure?
    Posted: Sep/24/2021 at 1:36pm
So I have had a RICH smelling exhaust at idle and a bit smokey revving...darkish shade.   Hooked up a pressure gauge right in front of the fuel line at the.carb and its 8.5 psi at idle and revving probably bouncing off 9.

Its a Carter 130 GPH mechanical Street pump that I installed around 2006, summit still carries these but they are an updated version of 120gph it may be the street strip super pump, i'd have to check the number stamp its been over 10 years since i bought it off summit racing, and they had a strip street version at that time ...and I have a stainless 3/8th reproduction upgraded fuel line from the pump inlet to the gas tank. the pump spec is 7 psi but I winder if the extra 1.5 is from the larger than original fuel line from the tank?

this excess pressure may also explain why 3 different carbs I have run on the engine could have the mixture screws bottomed out with not much change engine idle rpm

Carb right now is a Summit 600 CFM duel feed vacuum secondary carb. Summit specs say 5-7 psi MAX so I'm over by at least 1.5 PSI

looking for a fuel pressure regulator recomendation so I can tune this pressure to the correct specs? pretty sure advanced auto carries Mr gasket regulators so might try one...

Edited by 348AMX - Sep/24/2021 at 10:27pm
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2021 at 11:31pm
 In my experience, the little Mr. gasket regulators are crap. I had one on my jeep with a weber carburetor and quite honestly cannot tell the difference between wide open and fully shut. If you could stand it, spend the extra money and get the aeromotive or similar from Summit. An $80-$100 good regulator will deliver far superior results to a $20 piece of crap made in China. Good luck and let us know how it does 
rgsauger View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgsauger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2021 at 11:32pm
 Also make sure that you set up your carburetor on the bench with the butterflies set at the proper position so that just a small square shows of the transition port. If one or the other butterfly is open too much, then that will also give you similar results to what you were talking about on the idle screws. 
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 5:14pm
thanks... after looking i actually like the regulators that mount to the side of the carb with a baseplate bracket, some are billet brackets that really bump the price though, summit regulator with the summit carb makes sense.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 8:21pm
348amx - how ya been doin' there dude ?...

I'm a big fan of the dual-line that puts the regulator right beside a dual feed carb.
If you have a Holley Regulator, or can get one local,
this Line Kit on ebay right now is a steal at this $39.00 price w/ Free Ship man.....
and you can easily make a bracket imho and put the regulator at a height that works with your filter.
And *BONUS*, this set-up is compatible with the stock AMC Coil mounting Bracket & location too!
And set the fuel pressure for street & modern pump gas to only 4-1/2 to 5 psi.

imho the best way to go hands down, but use a smooth flow elbow in the inlet rather than the provided 90. Although a little pricey, man... those AN fittings will spoil ya rotten like right now man... ya can almost tighten them by hand with a firm grip an they'll be fine... and imho a fuel pressure regulator should always be ran with a carburetor, might not absolutely be needed, but it hurts nothing, and ensures correct unvarying fuel pressure, and is a Tee and a Dual Line needs a Tee in there somewhere.. so...

If you get AN lines, once ya use'em for a little while,
you'll wonder why ya didn't earlier, I;m tellin ya...

And for future ref a page called www.anplumbing.com has pretty decent prices
and claim theirs are Made In U.S.A. also

But this eBay seller is downright dumping AN fittings & stuff at the prices they have right now.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=363393163485&hash=item549beba0dd%3Ag%3ALogAAOSw5lJgm06G&_ssn=hi-autopia&_sop=15

Here's one worthless opinion... regardless...
Know it's worthless because AMC Zeus Dan Curtis told I don't know what I'm doing...

Good Fuel Pressure Regulator set to 4-1/2 to 5 psi.
Good dualline Fuel Like linked.
Good O-Rings on Inlet Needles.
Proper Float levels AFTER & only with a Regulator.
Proper Primary Transfer Slot Exposure at Idle.
Proper Secondary pita Idle Speed Set Screw idle setting.
Still not happy, no harm trying .01x dia wires in the IFRs.
Set up by someone who knows how it'll be fine.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Sep/25/2021 at 8:29pm
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2021 at 2:56pm
sweet!! just ordered it...looks nice.

been doing good..
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2021 at 5:59pm
348amx - I used this smooth flow elbow for the inlet, there's also chrome & Jegs & Summit have clones, and other choices too, like AeroQuip which are swivel, allow clocking, but require an additional Plews Edelmann Brass Male Pipe to Female Inverted Flare Adapter.  These AeroQuip fittings are also good for AMC mechanical Fuel Pump Outlet use in making the turn up to vertical, also with a strait brass adapter in the pump outlet first, then the "swivel" AeroQuip.

348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2021 at 12:16am
I already had the AN fittings on the fuel pump inlet and outlet and Aeroquip socketless hose from the pump to the stainless line through the frame rail. There was an Aeroquip distributor near me thats gone now but they made me a power steering hoses in black that came out awesome so Aeroquip hoses and fittings are an easy sell for me.

Edited by 348AMX - Sep/30/2021 at 12:20am
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2021 at 11:39pm
348AMX - man sorry, failed to notice your carb wasn't a regular Holley Dual Line Center hung bowls
but rather a Summit Brand Carb which is a re-born Holley Model 4010 / 4011
with the smaller 9/16-24 Inlet Fitting threads like a single line side hung float bowl carb.
Sent ya in a PM the Adapter fitting info & part numbers to go from that 9/16-24 to 6AN Male.
Peace
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic