TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

79 AMX to be revived

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 8:06am
Go with the 360 and the new Edelbrock EFI. That combination will give you a lot more torque over a 304 and allow you to run a taller gear in the rear for street cruising.

Tom
Molnar Technologies Full Service Dealer - Crankshafts & Connecting Rods

1969 AMC Rambler Rouge Race Car
1974 AMC Hornet Hatchback, Wally Booth Outlaw Nostalgic Pro Stock Race Car Project
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 8:50am
So what's the budget, goals and what can you do yourself?

If you have a big wallet, go for the 360 rebuild with higher compression, forged rods, EFI intake, Edelbrock heads, ARH headers ... and a performance transmission upgrade.

If your on a budget, sounds like the transmission is fine, just a service. Your stating you need to rebuild an engine regardless so the 360 bumped up to 9.0 to 9.5:1 would be great, a performer intake would be nice with a new 4 barrel carburetor and a set of free flow manifolds.

You would also be looking for a new cam, Lunanti VooDoo for the street looks good, 700 if using stock bridge rocker, 701 or 702 if your spending on roller rockers.

My opinions
79AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 9:31am
Thanks for all your opinions folks.

According to the original invoice (yeah, still have it), it's got a 2:56 rear.  Should be good, right?  Again, this build is for good street and highway performance.

i don't have a big wallet, except when I have a lot of charge slips in it Smile.  I'm getting ready to retire and my days of remove, rebuild, and replace days have passed.  So, I will be farming that out to a really good guy who knows AMC's, and has his own rebuilding facility.  He will do both engine and tranny.  I'm lucky there.

While those are getting done, I will take care of the rest of the AMX.  Brakes, fuel tank, suspension, interior, etc.  You know the story.  Hopefully I will have that done when he is ready to replace the engine and tranny.

My approach is to get your knowledgeable opinions from your experience, price it out and go from there.  My wife likes the AMX (she learned to drive on it), so I don't have any resistance in that area.

What I am hearing so far, is go with the 360 (duh) and it will bolt up to the 998 I have.  My re-builder will have some suggestions, but I want to do my homework first.

I'm planning on doing this in July or so, depending on his busy schedule.  I'll keep you posted and thanks again for you help.

Victor 
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

So what's the budget, goals and what can you do yourself?

If you have a big wallet, go for the 360 rebuild with higher compression, forged rods, EFI intake, Edelbrock heads, ARH headers ... and a performance transmission upgrade.

If your on a budget, sounds like the transmission is fine, just a service. Your stating you need to rebuild an engine regardless so the 360 bumped up to 9.0 to 9.5:1 would be great, a performer intake would be nice with a new 4 barrel carburetor and a set of free flow manifolds.

You would also be looking for a new cam, Lunanti VooDoo for the street looks good, 700 if using stock bridge rocker, 701 or 702 if your spending on roller rockers.

My opinions

I agree, especially on the cam selection. Howards 310101-12 would also be a cam in the same ballpark.

Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 1:05pm
Are you going to race it ?  If not, I would put it back original since it is still all original, it will still be fun to drive, but I would change to a 4-barrel, dual exhaust, and the rear gears 3.15 or 3.31
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 2:00pm
I think your combination really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. It sounds like reliability with a little extra pep in its step is your target. If that is the case, I would go 360 with a 727 behind it or the TH400. Maybe even invest in an overdrive unit if you have the budget for one. A slightly lopey cam designed for torque but to give you that classic hotrod sound the 292H grind or just under has a nice sound but may be a little bit too much for lower compression. I would target compression in the 9.25-9.75 range that way you can run 92-93 pump gas without issue. EFI would give it manners, ease of starting while also making it easier for the wife to drive. Invest in a posi track rear end as that would also make it more fun to drive. Headers would be good but free flow manifolds would suffice and be easier to deal with. a good 2.5 dual and H or X pipe will help alleviate some of the drone common in exhaust but will be nice and throaty when you pop the throttle. The EFI will also appreciate the crossover. I think either the performer intake, Air Gap or the new Edelbrock EFI unit would be great. I say go with the bigger trans just for piece of mind and for times when you may get a little frisky on the throttle.

79AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2020 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

Are you going to race it ?  If not, I would put it back original since it is still all original, it will still be fun to drive, but I would change to a 4-barrel, dual exhaust, and the rear gears 3.15 or 3.31

Not racing it, just street/highway and would like to be able to drive it across the country with ease.  If someone wants to race, I have a different car for that. 

I was definitely thinking about not messing with it too much, because it is still original - from the pop-up Moon Roof right down to the Turbo Cast II aluminum wheels with center caps.

But if I put the 360 in and do go efi and use my same 998 trans, that shouldn't change it too much if I sell it.  The 304 would be wrapped up and stored and would go with it.

Anyway, that's where I am so far.  But I'm easily persuaded ---within reason Smile
79AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2020 at 9:19am
OK, I'm moving forward on this.  I spoke with my builder a couple of days ago about the project.  We didn't get into details yet, just the overall plan.

Will be rebuilding the 360 with Edelbrock Performer intake and 4 barrel.  He said it will be much better to get the increased HP and he can build the 998 trans that will be more than adequate for my driving plans.  I know a lot of you guys race, but this is for street/highway and ease of driving.  I'll go through the suspension, but as some of you guys know, the 79 AMX could straighten out some corners.

I don't know what he's planning on bumping the compression to yet.  He wants me to bring the 360 in whenever I can so he can look it over.  I need to pull it out of the Waggy.

I was reading about oiling system mods a while back, but cannot located them now.  As I recall, it was about starving No. 4 and 5 main bearings at high rpm.  My question is do I need to make any mods on this '75 360 if it's just going to have a mild build to it?

Thanks again,
Victor
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2020 at 10:30am
This post is likely he one with the most opinions and things that should be done.
I "believe" at the end of the day most agreed that for a street driver the valley line was not required
79AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2020 at 11:27am
Thanks Trader.  A lot of info in that thread and after reading it "I think" so too.  Since it's going to be a street driver, I know what to do.
If I were going to race it, I would still be confused Confused
Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic