TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'74 Matador Coupe Resurrection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 10:17am
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Years ago I used one of the DIY kits from Eastwood for the tank on my '64 Classic. Seemed to work fine for me but I've read some comments that say the coating starts to flake off after time which makes it just as bad as the dirt that used to be in the tank. I guess it's a case of "Caveat Emptor" and you better do your research.

P.S. Don't go too wild on the horsepower on the other one. You'll scare the poor girl to death when you start it.

I think I'm going to spend the money and send it to Gas Tank Renu and have it professionally done. I talked to Blaser AMC about refurbishing my sending unit also. 

1974 Matador Coupe Brougham aka "The Mat"
1975 Matador Coupe Oleg Cassini Edition
1969 Javelin SST (Project Car) - SOLD but not forgotten
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by dane dane wrote:

Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Years ago I used one of the DIY kits from Eastwood for the tank on my '64 Classic. Seemed to work fine for me but I've read some comments that say the coating starts to flake off after time which makes it just as bad as the dirt that used to be in the tank. I guess it's a case of "Caveat Emptor" and you better do your research.

P.S. Don't go too wild on the horsepower on the other one. You'll scare the poor girl to death when you start it.

I think I'm going to spend the money and send it to Gas Tank Renu and have it professionally done. I talked to Blaser AMC about refurbishing my sending unit also. 

I had the one in my 70 Javelin done close to 15 years ago by Renu thing is I have not had more than 5 gal of fuel in it for moving the car around.

Only thing I am worried about is the ethanol used in fuel now as to 15 years ago and what it does to my old lining
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2015 at 8:33am
Got my tank back from Gas Tank Renu yesterday! Nice and clean inside now.

scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2015 at 6:34pm
gas tank renu is a great service I resurrected both my tanks with them. One caveat they dont look absolutely original afterward. I recommend them IMHO.
NC74Matador View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC74Matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 5:36am
Nice!! Thanks for the update. Smart decision.
What was the total 'down' time?? (you sent it when??)
1974 AMC Matador X SOLD
dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2015 at 9:55am
Originally posted by NC74Matador NC74Matador wrote:

Nice!! Thanks for the update. Smart decision.
What was the total 'down' time?? (you sent it when??)

Just 10 days or so for the Renu job. I spent several weeks trying to find someone locally to do it. I also had thought about DIY but it needed some structural repairs that I wasn't able to do so I sent it off. I'm glad I went this route now! I'll be installing it tonight, hopefully. If I can find the right length sending unit filter in town. The one I ordered from APD is to long & touches the bottom of the tank. It's always something...

dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2015 at 11:18am
I'm having some issues getting the tank back in the car. When the shop repaired the vent pipe they welded a copper coupling over the pipe against the tank & it was distorted /bent out of shape. You can see the funky angle it came back with in the pictures I posted previously. This has caused clearance issues getting the tubes to go back through the frame and everything lining up correctly. I've pryed & pryed on the vent tube. I even trimmed a little around the opening through the frame. It's darn close but no cigar yet. It shouldn't be this difficult. Very frustrating!! 

Edited by dane - Aug/24/2015 at 9:17am
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2015 at 8:03pm
You may also want to consider a supplemental ground wire or removing some of outside coating where the straps fit so that you get a good reference ground for the fuel sender.  I have a GT Remu tank on my 62 classic and I had to rig a supplemental ground wire to the tank.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
dane View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 9:13am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

You may also want to consider a supplemental ground wire or removing some of outside coating where the straps fit so that you get a good reference ground for the fuel sender.  I have a GT Remu tank on my 62 classic and I had to rig a supplemental ground wire to the tank.  Joe

Luckily, everything worked out great with the sending unit. I just plugged it in & the fuel gauge works fine. I got the tank strapped back in yesterday and The Mat is back on the road again!! Clap

NC74Matador View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NC74Matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2015 at 9:28am
Glad to hear. I was worried after reading about the problems you encountered. Lookin' good!
1974 AMC Matador X SOLD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic