TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 Javelin trans pressure switch wiring?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMartinez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 Javelin trans pressure switch wiring?
    Posted: Jan/10/2023 at 9:43pm
Can somebody please tell me where this wiring connects to? It appears to be some sort of pressure switch tied to a transmission fluid line that comes into the engine compartment.    
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2023 at 12:05pm
Are you referring to the orange wire and the unterminated 4-blade connector in the lower-right of your photo?  That is the transmission control sensor.  The black connector mates to a connector on the firewall, next to the wiper motor.  I don't see that connector in your photo.  A single long orange wire on my transmission harness also goes back to the transmission and connects to a black wire on the transmission, near the speedo gear.  Mine is a '73 and there were some changes during those years because of emissions and seat belt interlocks, etc, also some variances between 4-speed and automatics.

Edited by CamJam - Jan/16/2023 at 12:13pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2023 at 5:54am
This is a Torqueflite?  The only thing I know that is electrical on a '74 is the neutral start switch/reverse light functions.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
RMartinez View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMartinez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2023 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

This is a Torqueflite?  The only thing I know that is electrical on a '74 is the neutral start switch/reverse light functions.

Yes it's a torque flight. There is a hard fluid line that comes off of the transmision and has a pressure switch on the end as shown in the picture. It is just sitting there in the engine compartment. I'm not sure if that was factory or if somebody just rigged it up.  
RMartinez View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMartinez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2023 at 8:51pm
There is also a connector/wiring that comes off of a vacuum actuator.. I'm not sure where that goes either.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2023 at 8:56pm
It's for the Transmission Controlled Spark system.  1974 only if I'm not mistaken.  Supposed to help limit vacuum advance when in 3rd gear or something like that.

I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2023 at 2:53pm
I have real doubts that what you have is stock.  The only way to run it down is to see where the other end is terminated on the transmission.  If I was a betting man I'd bet it's plumbed into one of the test ports on the transmission, probably the line pressure port, for God knows what use.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2023 at 3:16pm
Roger...that is original and stock, part of emissions scheme using transmission pressure to vary timing.  Earlier versions used speedometer speed, that had a speed transducer between the trans speedometer gear adapter and the cable.... 
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
garweb3 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote garweb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2023 at 4:12pm
This is what the sender looks like on my 74 AMX w/360 auto.
1974 Javelin AMX
1980 Spirit AMX
1987 Jeep Comanche Sportruck
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2023 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by garweb3 garweb3 wrote:

This is what the sender looks like on my 74 AMX w/360 auto.

There was one of those in the for sale section yesterday and I bought it for my '73 360.  Some of the other related parts are still available.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic