TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 Javelin Need Reference Pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 Javelin Need Reference Pics
    Posted: Jul/25/2021 at 11:46am
When I tore down my 74 Javelin, 304 auto 10 years ago I took nice reference pics of every component. Since then most of those have been lost or I simply can't find them.

I am using a new engine compartment wiring harness from M&H and I think either it has issues or I wired some things wrong.

Does anyone have a photo of a correctly wired fenderwell mounted solenoid? Specifically the positive side where the positive battery cable goes? Yes I do have the TSM wiring diagrams etc but in this case those are not helping me. With the new harness the only wires connected to the positive side are the pos battery cable and one very thin red wire with what looks like a fusible link at the connector. I seem to remember a thicker red wire (or more than one)  on there when I first took it apart, and I can't see the thin one there now powering the entire car until the engine starts.

I also need a reference pic of the wiring at the back of the alternator (factory style).
Currently there is a double thick red wire (two wires into one connector) attached there and I suspect that this is the wire that should have gone to the positive solenoid terminal? Either that or this harness is missing a wire or somewhere I needed to re-use a wire from the old harness.

I have attached a pic of the double red connector in the new harness for reference. You can also see the very thin red wire in this harness that is currently the only one I have attached to the positive side of the solenoid.

Thanks for any pics or info you guys can offer. This car is driving me crazy. Maybe it is angry that I let it sit for so many years without attention LOL

Forrest

Edited by fmahannah - Jul/26/2021 at 5:52am
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
1958 rambler super View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1958 rambler super Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 11:28am
My car drives me crazy sometimes too! But I'd rather it be driving me around.....
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 11:38am
Never seen that type of wire before... though 74 should be close to late 73, in which I had long ago. If it was a thick 10awg single wire, it would go to the alternator. But the two wires coming from the wrapping makes me think it could go to the isolation bracket, mounted on the inner fender, for the rally gauge cluster ammeter connection. It uses a different configuration than non rally gauge setups.

There are a few guys with 71 to 74 go pack Javelins and AMX, that can upload a picture of what I am talking about. It may help as to where wires go for your connections.

It seems that that would be the issue, since the ammeter connection would keep voltage from passing on the ignition if not connected proper.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/26/2021 at 11:40am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 11:52am
Yeah this car was originally not a rally pak but PO installed the 140 speedo cluster. It is possible I ordered the wiring harness from M&H for the 140 speedo instead of the standard one. On this car the ammeter burnt up so I had to just connect those two wires directly with a small bolt and some wrap.

I don't have an isolation bracket on the fenderwell.

But the old harness also had that double thick red connector on it. Damn I wish I could find all my nice reference photos ...

Thanks
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2021 at 10:38pm
I firmly believe that, to save money, AMC didn't change too much over the years. 
I've attached a picture of the back side of my alternator when I was tearing my 70 AMX apart.  It shows the heavy red wire (yours is double for some reason), orange, green, and black wires going to the alternator.  The blue wire goes to the oil pressure sending unit (mine was an electrical after market so needed an extra wire).

The other wires circled (red, yellow, and green) I believe go to the starter solenoid: red to the positive terminal from the battery (probably feeds the fuse panel or ignition switch), green to the "S" terminal to trigger the solenoid, and yellow for the ignition/coil power during cranking.  Its not pretty, but here's what mine looked like before disassembly (don't laugh, it worked).

Whatever you decide, I would "tone out" the wires to see where they go. 
Until someone with a '74 chimes in, hope this helps.
Bill O.
70 AMX
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2021 at 10:53pm
Hello Forrest,
Here are some photos from my wife's '74 Javelin that might help:

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
fmahannah View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmahannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 6:09am
Thanks! Does her car have the 140 speedo? I had a 73 Javelin in your color and I wish I could get another one.
74 Javelin AKA Ghost
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 10:33am
Forrest,
Here is another photo of a Motorola Alternator that might help you....

G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2021 at 10:38am
Forrest,
The wife's '74 only has the 120 mph Speedometer....
Also, the '73 models I believe were "Fresh Plum", and the '74's were "Plum Metallic"....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic