TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 amx fuel sending unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 amx fuel sending unit
    Posted: May/10/2021 at 6:48pm
does anybody know where i can find the thread on how to adjust one of the aftermarket fuel sending units from APD.  i saw it here a long time ago and now cant find it.

Thanks.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 2:01pm
Anybody?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 2:43pm
I think all aftermarket fuel senders are the stainless type, that most get from ebay. I noticed a lot of Chinese aftermarket parts have been lacking on stock here in the US. Ebay seems like more reliable for finding such things, though you will have to wait for import clearance delays.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

I think all aftermarket fuel senders are the stainless type, that most get from ebay.

They are. I've had a couple of friends that bought them from vendors at much higher price only to find out they're the same eBay ones at double or more the price. DMack went rounds with one of them and ended up swapping the resister board from a Jeep unit into the car sender because the ohm range was so far off on the car unit.

I posted this back in 2015 when I did the Magnum swap in my car.

I pulled the gas tank out to figure out why the fuel gauge was reading a quarter tank off (low). As it turned out, the new Javelin level unit I bought (all stainless from eBay) the ohms range was 12 to 85 ohms instead of 12 to 60 ohms that the gauge is calibrated too. I shortened up the range of travel to fix that problem but it still wasn't right. I figured out that the float arm was to long so I shortened it by 2" and it reads right now from what I can tell. I took it yesterday and filled the tank and the gauge actually read full for the first time.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 3:39pm
i have a new one from APD but it doesnt read correctly.  i remember there being a thread that explained how to fix that.. i thought for sure you would have know.   Lol
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 4:03pm
A while back i did a thread on the resistor board. Mine had over 125k miles of use, when it was pulled and was as accurate as my 73 back in the 80s.

I pulled the tank and sender, even though I had no issues with it when I garaged the car for strip down. I am glad I did, to see for my self.

If you have the original sender, you can remove the resister board, but be careful, as the wire wound around it has no provisions to stay in place, other than the slots it fits in.

I recommend gluing both edges along its length, to keep the wire from moving, and assist in proper winding spacing at the ends.

You can install with the unused end facing the wiper arm, it's a mirror copy in resistance, to keep longevity.

Carefully clean it, from any varnish residue.

You may need to bend the float wire to conform to the proper angle and level of the original float, before installing.

Edited by 304-dude - May/11/2021 at 4:07pm
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 5:49pm
yeah, the original is long gone.. and i have no idea how to do what you are talking about..  I need help.. im lost.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 6:45pm
I still have my original sender somewhere in the garage.

I can make measurments once I locate it. Float angle at rest and its drop from pivot. The wiper arm is part of the float mechanism, i think there are stops to limit how far the float travels in either direction.

As for resistor compensation, a large valued resistor is required to run parallel to lower the ohm value of the after market sender.

I don't know the ohm reading of the after market sender. Once you obtain it you can ohm the resistance at rest (empty) and at full. There may be a limit to how accurate it can be adjusted. Example, either full will be accurate or empty, depending on which side of the scale you choose to adjust. You may be lucky with both ends being a good match for equal adjustment, with out tweaking the upper or lower limit of the wiper and float arm. In doing so, you could make the reading act a wee logarithmic, with a slow decline within a short range on top or on bottom of scale.

I prefer to have it close to original for an empty reading. Which should bring the needle just under the lower corner of E. At least for my 71 and 73 Javelins when I had driven them.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 7:50pm
i plan on taking the tank out tomorrow, weather permitting.. i have lots of questions.

Thanks.. im sure i will need some advice once i get it out.
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2021 at 9:28pm
APD lists an original style sending unit.  Is this it?

Or is it a universal type like this?

Edited by troutwilly - May/11/2021 at 9:32pm
Bill O.
70 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic