TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 73 Javelin Heater Core and Heater Control Valve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Javelin Heater Core and Heater Control Valve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 2:55pm
Thanks, Ian!  Yes, that does look like the valve in my first post.  Seems logical that PO must have removed the heater control valve on my car and replaced it with a 90 degree fitting.  One of the two loose vacuum hoses controls that and the other is likely for the open/close lever on the dash.

And the valves are still available at a (sort of) decent price, so that's good!

Thanks a bunch for your help on this!!

Edited by CamJam - May/23/2022 at 3:05pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 3:18pm
you will have two vacuum lines - one is the source from the intake (with the check valve) and then a line back to the heat valve.
AMO Newsletter Editor
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 4:06pm
The old car's 73 AMC TSM link I had is broken, but some times it gets posted as a TSM reference. It would come in handy.

Billd's car is a non A/C, but vacuum is used on the air vent operation. On all 71 to 74 Javelins.

As for heater core always flowing... I have seen other cars, mostly trucks with such a thing. The heater box is what controls heater operation, not a valve.

Though, I think I may steered wrong thinking vacuum assisted heater valves on non A/C.

Though that one way vacuum port is used on all 73 on up. My 71 did not have it. I assume its a precautionary device for any vacuum control line leaks.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

The old car's 73 AMC TSM link I had is broken, but some times it gets posted as a TSM reference. It would come in handy.

Billd's car is a non A/C, but vacuum is used on the air vent operation. On all 71 to 74 Javelins.

As for heater core always flowing... I have seen other cars, mostly trucks with such a thing. The heater box is what controls heater operation, not a valve.

Though, I think I may steered wrong thinking vacuum assisted heater valves on non A/C.

Though that one way vacuum port is used on all 73 on up. My 71 did not have it. I assume its a precautionary device for any vacuum control line leaks.

Maybe in the future it would be more helpful to comment when you know the answer instead of guessing real-time to try an answer the poster’s question 🤷🏻‍♂️
AMO Newsletter Editor
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 6:05pm
No worries.  All responses appreciated.  I have the correct heater valve on order now and will start looking for a heater core.  No rush on the latter as I don't plan on tearing into the dash until later this year.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 7:25pm
OK I was thinking you had a non air car but after going back to re-read your first post, you do have air so that valve is correct. Sorry about that. Here's a link to the 73 TSM. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/AMC/1973/Service%20-%20rescan/index.html

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2022 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

OK I was thinking you had a non air car but after going back to re-read your first post, you do have air so that valve is correct. Sorry about that. Here's a link to the 73 TSM. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/AMC/1973/Service%20-%20rescan/index.html

Thanks for that link!  I have a '72 TSM, but as you know there were some changes.

Interesting that the '73 TSM mentions a heater control valve only for the 10 and 80 series, not the 70 (Javelin) series, and the description of the heater box also sounds as if the damper is the only way to regulate heat.

Edited by CamJam - May/23/2022 at 9:45pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2022 at 6:10pm
One more question on this setup:  I know the heater core mounts in the box diagonally on 73 and 74 Javelins, but is the core itself the same part as was used in 71 and 72, or at least close enough to work with some minor mods such as a spacer?  APD shows the same part number from 68-74, but I've read elsewhere that 73 and 74 are different.

Thanks!

Edited by CamJam - Aug/05/2022 at 3:35pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2022 at 6:20pm
Found the correct heater core for the '73 Javelin at Summit.  

Agility Auto Parts 9010104 (summitracing.com)

Apparently, I got the last one, but from this older thread I think this aluminum one would work too.

I decided to spend a few bucks more and get the right one, but every other place I tried was out of them and I think maybe I got lucky.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2022 at 2:45pm
Seems like things in this sub-section don't get much attention as you have to search for it under the "Body" forum, but I'll post this here in case anyone else needs to know.

I stacked the 71-72 (bottom) vs the 73 (& 74?) heater cores on top of each other to show the differences. For those who don't know, the heater boxes changed in '73, but as you can see the cores themselves are nearly identical.  The only difference is a piece of sheet metal that acts as a mounting bracket in the later cars.  I haven't torn the dash apart yet, but it appears that we can consider them to be interchangeable, with perhaps this minor modification.

Edited by CamJam - Aug/15/2022 at 2:59pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic