TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Javelin door armrest/pulls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch45810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Javelin door armrest/pulls
    Posted: Apr/14/2021 at 8:08am
I'm in the process of trying to get my 73 Javelin back on the road and just finished rebuilding the door hinges. In the process of getting everything apart I thought I'd look for the armrest part of the door panel, but it doesn't look like there's any replacements out there and I don't see any threads on repairing the existing ones. Mine are pretty badly discolored and the driver side has several holes where the vinyl just wore out. Has anyone had luck repairing these with NuVinyl or something along those lines?
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2021 at 8:52am
Buying good used one is your best bet .Put an ad in the wanted section .
dutch45810 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dutch45810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 7:18am
Thanks for the reply. Will do.
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2021 at 9:32pm
You can buy vinyl dye in a spray can to match your interior color . Good luck.
Pmconstruction View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pmconstruction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2021 at 1:25am
I had great luck restoring my 69 ambassador armrests, there's a goy on Facebook with several for sale, I just purchased some from him for parts, there's no such thing as perfect parts for these things but I used a best of 3 method for each side, 
here's how I did it, there's three layers you have to be concerned about, the backing the for and the skin,
 find some good skins carefully remove them. I took a small cone shaped wire wheel on the Dremel and fground the foam about half way down, this helps it fit back where it's shrunk. 
I set the oven to 170 and put the forms in for about 15 minutes pulled them out and used some C clamps in strategic spots to cure the warpage! Then yayered the inside with 2 layers of fiber glass resin and cheese cloth, the outside with one layer. Make sure not to get any fiberglass inside the screw holes. 
At this point I put the skins in the oven at 170 for 15 minutes, pulled them out and immediately lined up and pushed in the screw hole areas, and stretches the skins over the forms, using weather strip adhesive on the inner underside of the eedges pull the bottom center first, this will be the hardest to stretch, fold it over the edges and glue the lip that folds over. 
Repeat this process working your way all the way around being careful not to get the glue from your fingers on the front of the skins, 
The weather strip adhesive is a good permanent glue, it requires a press and release method to adhere well, about the third time you lift and repress it'll grab and hold on.
Again if you've accumulated a few parts armrests trying to find good skins then just use the best of method again, use the resin and cheese cloth to make any repairs, make sure repairs are on the inside of backing plates to avoid them sitting lopsided on the door,
You should have saved the retention clips to be reused, the help section at the auto parts store has kits with two retention rings that are large enough but they only work in one spot on each arm rest, so you'll need 6 originals atheist. 

Clean and dye if necessary and bam you will have good as new armrests. Sorry this is so long I didn't want to miss anything, it's pretty quick though, can have em both done and on the car in a day.

Hope this helps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic