TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 AMX(SPEC) paint code

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71MachTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2021 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

I rather doubt that it's a custom order, but I don't have any good explanation for the SPEC tag. What interior is in the car? If it matches the tag, great. If it doesn't, then tag/door may have come from another car.
AMCs had some "special" colors to go with certain fleet/corporate orders. But it wasn't very often that someone ordered, say, a Playboy Pink Javelin (at least 1 was built in '72).

Since your car may be a very late build '73, does it have any obvious '74 features? (Like the big bumper guards? Or the shoulder belt/lap belt one piece combo?)
I was just wondering what the chance of it being a brochure car or an Auto Show car?

It has the 2 piece seat belts and it does have bumper guards front and rear,but what is considered big.It does have the key lock lever and when you take the e-brake off the seat belt buzzer comes on.I just bought the car and its my first AMC .I know it is from California.I have the 73 owners manual and warranty info.it still has 100% of all the emissions equipment on it also. Is there any other ''74'' stuff to look for?Could it be a preproduction 74,built in 73? It also has the complete cowl induction hood and air cleaner,which I under stand wasn't available in 74.  Could it be a dealer show car to show off the new plum color?

Edited by 71MachTA - Jul/27/2021 at 9:50pm
Red1975pacer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red1975pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 1:31pm
But we still have overspray on the door tag.
71MachTA View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71MachTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Red1975pacer Red1975pacer wrote:

But we still have overspray on the door tag.
Hi......I get it,yes there is over spray on the door tag. But that still dosen't explain why it has SPEC on the tag and what color the car is. I can assure you that the car is all the same color everywhere. 
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 3:03pm
Right. You're there looking at the car, we're not. From the sounds of paint cracking like lacquer, and the overspray (plus the age) it sounds like it's repainted, and sounds like a color very close to or equal to one of the AMC factory colors.
But, the SPEC code is a nice mystery at this point! Not sure how to solve that!
Do this: Pull out the back seat bottom (ask if you aren't sure how), and just look on the underside of the seat bottom. There MAY be a build sheet tucked in there. That would tell us a lot!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Red1975pacer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red1975pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 3:36pm
Without picking up a color chart, was this mystery color offered by the factory in both 73-74? Not that it matters, but my Pacer has 25 year old paint that most people assume is original. One repaint car .  Your car probably was a model year changeover time frame car, and possibly that the factory wasn’t sure of the status of the fresh plum paint continueing on .Therefore it was given a spec handling designation.   Makes sense when you factor in the build date 

Edited by Red1975pacer - Jul/28/2021 at 3:59pm
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 3:46pm
See the earlier comments on color!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 4:12pm
 It would probably help greatly to have enough info to come up with an approximate build date. Is the paper tag still present above the door tag? A clearer picture of the bottom number from the door tag, and last 6 from the VIN would eliminate all the guessing about it being some sort of a transition car.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
71MachTA View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71MachTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 5:53pm
Thank you all for replying.i really appreciate the help. Ok ,so here is some more information. Yes it has a paper tag on the door that I never noticed because its painted over. Ok so I now realize the car or some of it has been repainted, but they must have stripped It down to bare steel. The car only has one coat of primer and one of paint. It was however painted the same color that it was originally.  Moving on from that ,nothing under the rear seat. Here is the VIN: A3M798P243675 and the bottom number on the door tag is hard to make out the first and last digits. W or N 06690 3 or 1 .Like I have stated before the engine compartment ,floors,inside of doors,ect  are all this purplish color.

Edited by 71MachTA - Jul/28/2021 at 5:57pm
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 6:29pm
W for west final assembly line. I am not well versed on the lumpy Javelins, but with a 66,xxx sequence number and a 243,xxx VIN it should be no where near to 74 production start up. Someone should come along and come up with a close build date with the numbers you have provided.
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2021 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by 71MachTA 71MachTA wrote:

Here is the VIN: A3M798P243675 and the bottom number on the door tag is hard to make out the first and last digits. W or N 06690 3 or 1 .Like I have stated before the engine compartment ,floors,inside of doors,ect  are all this purplish color.

The last 6 digits of the VIN do confirm that it is a relatively late in the model year build. The body number at the top of the tag and the production number at the bottom of the tag are now even more curious considering the late VIN.  the "W" confirms that it was assembled on the 'west' production line, which is normal for the big body cars (Javelin, Matador & Ambassador) at that time.  The low sequence production number is curious, considering the late-year VIN.  This may have been an early 73 shell that was pulled for some reason prior to final assembly for, as some have already postulated, a new paint color test. That the car has all the 73 features, like the 2-piece seat belts, etc., makes this seem likely.

73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic