TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

727 transmission value

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 727 transmission value
    Posted: Jul/08/2022 at 9:38pm
Hello,
I have a line on two 727 transmissions. functioning condition is unknown.
what would a price range be on these. taking into consideration the mystery?
All I've been able to view online have been rebuilt

thanks,
ron
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2022 at 9:41pm
I assume you mean AMC case 727s...
A few hundred dollars each.
Many folks who want an automatic in their AMC are choosing more modern units, so I don't think there's a big market for them.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
devildog80 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devildog80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2022 at 1:24pm
But if you want an older trans like these, as I do myself, they are desired. Sure I am not the only one!

I recently was lucky to acquire a '84 Grand Wagoneer w/401 & 727, with the original 727 case in the back of the rig.

Before I did my research, and realized this was 98% possible the original trans to my truck, I put it up for sale @ $400.

After 2 months, and realizing what I had, I pulled the ad.....after not a single bite.

Think I will learn to rebuild this myself, and keep it to put back in the truck, then hold onto the 727 running in there now as a spare.

Rebuild kits for a DD are about $150-300, where a trans shop rebuild can go $1200 or more, and these are not as difficult a build as others out there. Can easily be done on the home workbench.

Not to mention they are a tried and true beast of a tranny, and can last for decades with nothing more than normal maintenance.

Just posting to share my experience with trying to sell one :)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2022 at 1:59pm
I agree with you devildog. But you have a different situation! Most Jeepers are going with four speed (OD) autos now, unless restoring, and most Jeepers upgrade and build on their rigs all the time, most dropping the AMC engine along with the trans. To use that trans for a car requires a complete disassembly (may as well rebuild) AND parts from a standard 2WD 727 as well, so it's not a cheap way to go. For the same money you can get an adapter and a good used 2004R or 700R4 (non-electronic -- more if you need an electronic shifter). If running that Jeep mostly off road I'd say you're just as well off with the 727 and a two speed t-case. If you run it on the highway a lot you're better off spending a bit more for an OD trans. Cruising around town and occasional trips to the strip in a car and you're just as well off with the 727, but if you intend to take it on long trips the extra gear is worth the expense.

To keep on topic, $200-300 for an unknown core is about right. No telling what they need! Could be a simple refresh with new seals/bands/clutches -- easy enough to do at home with some patience and a good manual (and a little advice from those who have done it!). Main thing is to have a CLEAN work area and keep everything as clean as possible when reassembling. but they could have "hard" internal parts (drums, shafts, gears) that are burnt up or need replacing. Can still do that at home, but could be several hundred dollars worth of parts needed.
Frank Swygert
devildog80 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devildog80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2022 at 2:30pm
I agree we do have different situations, but at the same time, we both have a 727 core we want to decide what to do with!

That was my only thought with my response.

Hope you get yours worked out :)

And thanks for the added information!
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2022 at 7:27pm
I sold one for $150 a couple years ago? Canadian funds.... 
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2022 at 1:32am
I just posted one in the forum for 200$ with convertor no bites .my thought a fare price is 150 just trans the trouble is shipping the heavy things
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2022 at 7:14am
Two things:  I finally bought a used AMC 727 for my '70 AMX because it was local.  Shipping is becoming a major cost concern.  Secondly, I wasn't smart enough to get the kickdown linkage at the same time so I'll be walking the face of the earth for that.

Oh yeah, I paid $200 with the converter.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2022 at 8:27am
6pakbee, I have the complete 727 kickdown linkage, I don’t need it any more since going back to the original BW M11 auto trans in my ‘69. You can have it for cost of shipping, just pm me. Thanks 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2022 at 9:47am
Originally posted by sweatlock sweatlock wrote:

6pakbee, I have the complete 727 kickdown linkage, I don’t need it any more since going back to the original BW M11 auto trans in my ‘69. You can have it for cost of shipping, just pm me. Thanks 

PM sent.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic