TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Restoration facts, question and answer. > Part Numbers, AMC Parts ID and cross-references
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72 Matador trim pieces

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Matador trim pieces
    Posted: Jun/24/2019 at 5:45am
I have two trim pieces part #AMC 3616168 RH and AMC 3616169 RH 
They are for a vinyl  roof and go from the back window around the rear pillar to back door.
Are these the correct pieces for a 72 Matador 4 door Australian assembled?
Would anyone have a picture of these on a car as they seem either short or missing another piece 
JohnRyd View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnRyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 6:56am
Jamie,
I don't know if there are trim differences between the Australian Matador and those in the USA market, but I do not believe there are. The numbers on the trim pieces you referenced are casting numbers. I have a 1972 Ambassador and the same numbers are on the backs of those pieces.

The group and part numbers are as follows:
Belt line trim: Group: 26.036, Part 4487518 (right) and 4487519 (left).
These pieces only show in the big parts book, but not in the collision parts book.
They fit at least 1970 through 1972 models with vinyl top or two-tone. I didn't check to see if they may also fit later models.

There is also a separate short trim piece that goes on each door.
Group: 26.034, Part 4487490 (right) and 4487491 (left).
I believe this is the piece you are missing.

I have attached a few pictures for reference.

A couple of things to be aware of:
My Ambassador (December 1971 build) has four holes in the quarter panel for the trim. Three are for "posts" on the trim and the one nearest the rear window is for a trim screw. The original trim piece I removed had three posts. Later pieces with the same casting number have only two posts. Therefore you may need to plug or caulk the hole where the post is missing to prevent leaks into the trunk area.

The trim was held in with nuts threaded on the posts. I had assumed they were held in with barrel clips and I broke two posts off while removing the old trim pieces. You need to remove some of the interior upholstery to gain access to the nuts.

Kind regards,
Adolph John Rydzewski
Newark, Delaware USA

Adolph John Rydzewski
Newark, Delaware
1972 Ambassador 4dr Brougham, 360/2BBL/727 purchased new
1968 AMX 390/Auto
1957 Hudson Hollywood 327/Auto
1975 Cadillac Eldorado
1992 Lumina Z34 5 speed
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 7:30am
Wow! That's a thorough answer, John!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Matador Main View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matador Main Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 5:39am
The Matador has a different vinyl trim than the Ambassador. I have the Ambassador Trim but can't find the matador trim. 
Matador Main View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matador Main Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2021 at 5:41am
The Matador Coupe has different vinyl trim than the Ambassador. I have the Ambassador trim but can't find the matador trim.  The Matador trim does not go all the way to the rear window. Google the Matador and you will see how it is different.Can't figure out how to post photos here or i would post a photo.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic