TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72 Javelin AMX project.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Javelin AMX project.
    Posted: Dec/31/2020 at 5:40pm
I ask a lot of questions and thought I should throw out some background and a pic of the project.  I’ve owned this car since 1988.  It was held hostage by a body shop in the 90’s.  Basically how you see it, is how I got it back.  I need to figure out how to put I together, as the body shop was supposed to tare down and reassemble.  Obviously that didn’t happen.  

This is how it sits now.  I pushed it out of the garage with my son and we are knuckling down.  It’s a 360/auto car.  It now has a mopar 8 3/4 rear with a 3.91 suregrip.  The engine has TRW forged pistons, shot peened and polished rods, the usual ARP hard wear and an RPM Airgap.  

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2021 at 4:14pm
Get the service manual for the car.  It won't help you with knowing how the aftermarket parts fit but it will help with all the stock systems.  Also if there is a question of specific parts fit, search (even here on the forum) for the exploded views from the part manual.  The entire parts manuals themselves are scarce and rather expensive, but folks here might be able to help with specific drawings.  

Also, you can PM me for the for the phone number of a friend who is a long time AMC guy in San Luis Obispo would could advise you about how things go together.  He might recommend others on the coast there who can help.  I am in Salinas, and might be able to answer some of your questions too.  

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Billyfrank360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2021 at 7:17pm
Thanks Joe, 

Ive had this car for a long time and rarely come across any AMC folks.  I’m definitely hunting up a service manual as I will need exploded views.  I hate doing things three or four times. 

I will be searching the forum a bit.  Ive been around awhile, back when Fran moderated, but I let everything lapse as I needed to focused on other things.  

Appreciate the offers and I may take you up on them.

Cheers, 
Billy
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2021 at 5:34pm
Getting the engine together.  Not sure I care for the aluminum, but black headers and pulleys might contrast enough.  
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2021 at 8:10pm
I think that is a great look. Give it the contrasting colors and it will be awesome!
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2021 at 10:43pm
Thanks.  I am going to spray the oil pan black.  It will end up black from road use anyhow.

Cheers, 
Billy
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 6:15am
How refreshing to see an AMC engine not painted blue. Looks great to me

Originally posted by Billyfrank360 Billyfrank360 wrote:

Getting the engine together.  Not sure I care for the aluminum, but black headers and pulleys might contrast enough.  
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 7:58pm
Thanks, I struggled with the decision.  I started this project 30 years ago and made some other dubious decisions, such as selling off the hipo parts that made it special and painting the engine compartment black.  So, now in the deep end of trying to get it together, I figure I’ll just do what I want.

Cheers, 
Billy
XJ6 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XJ6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 8:14pm
I know the feeling well....forget the resto crowd and make it yours. None of us are taking it with us in the end. BTW none of my engines or bodies are factory color. I have owned a couple 72's my favorite year
troutwilly View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troutwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2021 at 9:42pm
Hey, I like the silver block.  Looks good.  Hope you don't mind a copy cat.
In my case it would include black headers, valve covers, throttle body, and serpentine system.
I just hope I can remember come engine build time.
Bill O.
70 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic