TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72 AMX Javelin Pre-Production Prototype

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2022 at 12:56pm
Yes, the overspray pattern of black over the TransAm Red body paint on the radiator support by the hood latch bracket is a match to a company B&W photo in the AMC Power Book.
Attached are photos of the engine compartment and overspray pattern.  The small hook in the pattern to the lower left of the attaching bolt and decal placement can be seen in the factory photo.

Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by 72AMXJavProto 72AMXJavProto wrote:

Yes, the overspray pattern of black over the TransAm Red body paint on the radiator support by the hood latch bracket is a match to a company B&W photo in the AMC Power Book.
Attached are photos of the engine compartment and overspray pattern.  The small hook in the pattern to the lower left of the attaching bolt and decal placement can be seen in the factory photo.

So my memory isn't to bad after all ! Big smile
Rich Corsello
Logdog008 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logdog008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2022 at 10:05am
Hey folks I seem to have a super low serial number car 1972 javelin sst  Body #000015  000033 and vin ends in 100068 I'm guessing this is a pre production prototype car I'd love to hear some input of what you all think I've owned the car approximately 33 yrs and mom had it before me. 😉👊😎 looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks
72AMXJavProto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2023 at 5:05pm

I transported the 1972 AMX Javelin Pre-Production Prototype car from SoCal to Wisconsin in April 2023 with a stop at the Penske Racing Museum in Scottsdale, AZ.  I met with the museum director, Pat Hozza who reviewed the car to see if they had any information on AMC providing the car to Mark Donohue, Roger Penske or the Racing Team.  Pat advised sometime later, that they had no/limited records from the early days and that one of the few people who would know would be Roger Penske himself.  He advised that time he has with Roger is very limited and that asking him whether he knows anything about the car is not on the priority list.  So inquiry down this path has probably come to a dead end.  Below is a photo of the car in the trailer at the Penske Museum being reviewed by Pat Hozza.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2024 at 4:54pm
I've been researching the manufacturer auto shows where the 72 AMX Javelin Pre-Production Prototype may have been displayed as part of the AMC exhibit.  Hoping to locate show programs or photos of the car taken at the shows.

The car was on display as part of the AMC Exhibit at the Chicago Auto Show at the McCormick Place Convention Center 2/26/1972 – 3/5/1972.  See show photo in prior post.

Researching whether the car was on display at the Greater Milwaukee Auto Show, I was referred to Jim Tolkan (president of ADAMM – Automobile Dealers Assn. of Metro Milwaukee).  Jim stated there had been a break in auto shows in the early 1970s and he did not think there was a show in 1972.  Please advise if anyone knows if there was a 1972 Milwaukee Auto Show.  Jim Tolken, further advised the 4 big shows are New York, Detroit, Chicago and Los Angeles.

It's my understanding that AMC did not exhibit at the 1972 New York Auto Show since the show predominantly focused on displays of international autos, not domestic autos.  If anyone knows anything to the contrary regarding this please advise.  Extra credit if you have a show program or photos.

I'm not sure AMC would have transported the car to & from Los Angeles for the Motor Expo at the Los Angeles Convention Center held  2/17/1972 – 2/21/1972 – 1972.  But perhaps.  Were any of you there or does anyone know?

I think it is likely that AMC would have had an exhibit at the Detroit Auto Show and Motor Home Exhibit - Show Theme "Wheels & Winners" held at Cobo Hall, Detroit 11/20/1971 – 11/28/1971.  The Detroit Library reportedly has a show program on file, though I haven't contacted them yet to see if I could get a scanned copy.  Again, anyone out there that might have attended this show and have a show program or photos or can confirm that there was an AMC exhibit and if this car was on display?

There may have been other shows in the midwest area that AMC may have exhibited at, possibly Buffalo, NY (1st week February), Rochester, NY, Pittsburg, PA or others.

In any event, does anyone in the AMC community have information on the 1972 AMC Car Show Exhibits and whether this car was on display?  Again, extra credit for Photos. Smile

P.S. I did locate a copy of the 1971 Detroit Auto Show Program, which has AMC info on pages 20,  22, 34, 35 and 74, though it is pretty limited.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2024 at 8:34pm
What's that you're towing with?  Looks like a lot of trailer for a mid-size SUV.  

I love your Javelin though and hope you find the info you're looking for.  I've done a little searching and didn't come up with anything more than what you already have.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2024 at 8:33pm

The tow vehicle is a 2001 Acura MDX.  I get that comment often that it looks like to much for a mid-size SUV.  But it is a good tow vehicle with a 305 Hp 3.7 Liter V6 with 6-Speed Paddle Shift and AWD.  I put 65,000 miles towing this trailer over 14 trips to and from SoCal loaded with 5 AMXs, engines and car parts, and household items over 2.5 years moving from CA to WI.  The trailer is a Trailex full-aluminum trailer that keeps the weight down and as you can see in the photo is a low profile (7 ft. high) trailer that significantly reduces wind resistance.  I’ve never had any mechanical issues with the MDX with all the towing and it now has 170K miles, though I religiously change engine, trans. and differential fluids.  The only negative aspect is reduced rear tire mileage due to squatting changing the rear camber and prematurely wearing the inside edge of the tire.  New MDX models solve this with an active load leveling system.  I pay a lot of attention to balancing the trailer loading prior to departing on a trip and adjusting the hitch height with the “Weigh-Safe” hitch/scale.  The paddle-shifted transmission allows for downshifting to pass and maintaining speed climbing steep grades. Mileage drops from 21 mpg to about 12 mpg pulling the trailer, and is very dependent upon speed and wind conditions.  But it tows great, though electric trailer brakes are essential.  Cars towed from CA: two 72 AMX Javelins, two 70 AMXs, one 68 AMX.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2024 at 8:53pm
Correction - a 2012 Acura MDX tow vehicle.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2024 at 8:58pm
Interesting to me because I also tow with an SUV, in my case a 2008 Chrysler Aspen (basically a fancier Durango) with a 5.7 hemi and built on the Dodge Dakota chassis.  It's got 160k miles on it now and I've started thinking about what I'll replace it with.  It has plenty of power for my 5,800 lb loaded trailer, and the only thing I maybe could improve on is having a lightly longer wheelbase to give a little more stability in wind.  I'm at 119" wheelbase right now.

I had a 2001 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 six prior to this, and while it towed the trailer ok it always felt a little undersized for the load.

Great that the Acura has done well for you.  I have to think you must be over the GCWR with that combo, but it no doubt helps that your trailer is aluminum.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2024 at 1:06pm
Located another factory photo of the 1972 AMX Javelin Pre-Production Prototype in a Popular Mechanics October-1971 issue in an article "72 Cars - AMC Gets It All Together".  The article covers all the 1972 AMC cars with photos.  This photo shows the AMX Javelin probably on the test track at the AMC Proving Grounds in Burlington, WI.  Note: Interesting that it displays a different license plate, JA-1972 versus JX-1972 in the Dec1971  Car Craft magazine ad.

Edited by 72AMXJavProto - Feb/07/2024 at 1:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic