TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72 AMX Javelin Pre-Production Prototype

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2022 at 10:32am
I Called the Chicago Auto Show offices yesterday and left an inquiry and my contact info.  Got a call back this morning and discussed the car in the 1972 show and availability of higher quality and additional photos of the AMX Javelin.  They believe they have them in the archives and will look for them and get back to me.
72AMXJavProto View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2022 at 12:23pm

Adding some photos of one of the more significant prototypes pieces on the car.  The photo shows the original prototype Center Dash Pod removed from the car, alongside a replacement salvage yard piece installed in the car.  As you can see the original prototype piece was cracked and debonding where the wood was seemed-in to the cut-out plastic of the 1971 molded plastic piece.

Take note of the left and right lead in angles to the inset lighter.  The prototype piece angles are roughly at 45 degrees, while the 72 production piece angles are at about 85 degrees.  The AMC 72 Data/Color/Upholstery Book shows a close-up photo of the new for 72 Javelin Center Dash Pod, which is clearly a photo of the prototype piece.  I have the prototype unit removed from the car and boxed to protect it - may restore it and re-install it at some point - not sure.

Including 2 photos of the back side of the prototype Center Dash Pad which show the bonded in wood and sample ashtray piece from the supplier.  Note the manufacturers sample part number label from the Grand Rapids Metal Craft Division.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2022 at 12:27pm
Adding a close-up photo of the Center Dash Pod Sample Part label.

idocars2 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idocars2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2022 at 7:01pm
Well you have dissected the Chicago Autoshow picture fairly well….. makes sense it could be your car.

I often thought my 66 Rouge was at the Chicago Autoshow as well. The VIN was low and ending as 100034. It was gold and black, 290-2 barrel, 4 speed with AC. The new selling dealer was within about 10 miles of the car show, so all the pieces fit. But I could never get the pictures and documentation to prove my theory.

The car is gone now and sitting in a garage about 10 miles from where I live. The owner is the guy I sold the car to in 1991 with 34,000 miles. He will not sell the car, but it was fun while I had it.
77 Hornet AMX 304
73 Hornet X 360
66 Rouge 290 4 spd
73 Mustang Convertible
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2022 at 10:22am
I remember well seeing your AMX when we visited you many years ago...I think you had a brown with brown cord interior car in the garage...Did we buy a black 1980 Spirit AMX from you???
Thankyou....Bob
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2022 at 7:14pm
Awesome car, and cool to see the details of how they hand made the preproduction parts!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2022 at 6:05am
What number did you call ? 
I would like to see if they have more of my car ty
Gary
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AMXJavProto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2022 at 12:07am
I just located a 1971 Magazine article on new cars for 1972, including a color photo of the 72 AMX Javelin Pre-Production Prototype while being driven on a banked curve.  I suspect the photo was taken on the AMC Proving Grounds at Burlington, WI.
The magazine is in very good condition, with a tight binding that won’t allow for a good scan without breaking the binding trying to lay it flat on the scanner.  I’ll look to obtain another copy to separate the pages to obtain a good lay-flat scan of the photo and article.  This may take a few weeks.  I’ll post the scans when I can.
73CJamx View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73CJamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2022 at 9:23am
Very interesting story.  My favorite magazine ad.  I always wondered what happened to the car.  You should post the story to some of the other AMC facebook sites.  I am sure other would like to see the car.  Thanks for posting the story.
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2022 at 6:09pm
 Randall (Randy?)

First, what a  cool worthwhile project ! I look forward to following the progress on the car here! Great history ! The car looks very intact and clean. I'd venture to say you've collected a few parts over the last 40 years, that will go towards the restoration.

I believe we may have corresponded around 1988. I think it was via telephone, but may have been via letter? I don't remember the reason we corresponded but have a vague memory it may have been over a tilt steering column I purchased from one of your friends (Phil?) but could be way off base there?

The tilt steering column was for a similar '72 Javelin/ AMX that I was working on at that time.

Whatever the reason we were  corresponding, I think I remember you commenting to me that one of the reasons you were fairly certain your JX was the brochure car, was the overspray patterns around the hood latch assembly, where it meets the core support. 

Anyhow, best of luck with this cool endeavor!

Rich Corsello
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic