TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-74 Javelin roof rail weatherstrips - UPDATE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71-74 Javelin roof rail weatherstrips - UPDATE
    Posted: Mar/03/2016 at 7:53pm
If you bought some roof rail weatherstrips for a 71 - 74 Javelin or AMX be aware that Metro has issues with them. Last summer I bought some new roof rail weatherstrips for my Javelin but didn't get a chance to install them until last weekend and found out they are short by 3/4" across the roof. I got a hold of Metro yesterday and spoke with Terri in customer service and she said they've made the same w/s for years and didn't hear of any problems but now I'm the third person to have problems with them. I explained the set I put in about 8 years ago never fit right but I don't remember them being short but the passenger windows would never seal properly no matter how much I adjusted them. She said they just got a hold of an original set for these cars and realized how far off they are and are retooling them now but will take a few months to get them out. I hope the new ones fit better than the old ones! Just wanted to pass the word along to check yours if you bought some recently or had issues with them before. They have a 15 year warranty. Wink

I'm happy to report that Metro Moldings re-tooled the weatherstrips and they fit very well and look very close to the originals. I put the new set in a few weeks ago and after spending about 4 hours realigning the glass, my windows roll up and down as they should and I have no air or water leaks from them. I'm pleased with them.

Edited by Mopar_guy - Jul/13/2016 at 2:53pm

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2016 at 8:08pm
I was aware for some time from a few threads about metro. I am surprised that you were one of the few who actually took the time to contact them about their product. I would have done so if I had installed them, as I have yet to order them.

I added on one reply, that I saved my originals so I can patch the shortness in fitment with sections cut from the originals.

Glad to hear that they are not lazy and will do something about their product line when questionable. Gosh only if all the peeps who had issues, would have contacted them earlier, maybe you would not have had a problem with your fitment.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 2:53pm
I updated my original post.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 7:40pm
Excellent!

Did you order them from Metro directly or through a distributor. I would be greatly interested to get a set before they sit too long bundled on the shelves.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 7:50pm
I got mine originally through a place on eBay and they were a lot cheaper than most places. Metro replaced them so if you order new ones, make sure you get the new number which I think is LP 120 but not sure. An email to Metro would confirm that.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 7:54pm
Thanks! will verify and look for them. Glad to know they fit, and will look at my old ones and see if they are good enough to let Billd to use. from the sound of it his is in bad shape.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 8:03pm
I'll tell ya, getting the windows aligned right is a real PITA! I did the door glass first and then the quarter. Mine were so far out from the wrong seals in it before which made it much harder, so hopefully if you're replacing original w/s that it won't take much. The biggest trick to the quarter windows is in the TSM which says to loosen all the adjusters, shove the window into place by hand, then snug up the adjusters. It helped get them close so then I was able to tweek them from there.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 8:15pm
I could not find the new part number listed... did contact metro via email.

looking into purchasing a full complete set to do my car, not just the roof seals.

once I get their updated part numbers, I will post them in a separate thread, for reference, maybe it will fit better in the restoration section.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 8:19pm
I did my 73 door glass after heat popped my window when I closed the door.

I did not have any difficulty, oddly enough, and my 71 has perfect action on all windows. Though I already removed the rear quarters as complete assemblies and my driver door is a stripped shell now.

Though he 71 has extra alignment bushings, so maybe that is why my door glass has smooth operation.

Yep, original seals all around.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2016 at 7:11pm
Still have not gotten a reply back from Metro as of yet... hopefully tomorrow.

If not, I'll resend another every hour on the hour on Monday. Mwahahahahaha!

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic