TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-74 Javelin Front Bumper Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71-74 Javelin Front Bumper Question
    Posted: Jan/31/2023 at 7:11pm
As you will see from the photo, the front bumper on my '73 Javelin is pushed in a bit in the center.  My '72 is the same way, though not nearly as bad.  I've adjusted it as good as it can get, so might have to try the BFH routine next.  My question is, how is it supposed to be?  Should the gap between the bumper and the grill be exactly the same in the center as it is at the sides or were they a little closer in the center when they left the factory?

'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Perrybones View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perrybones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 2:48pm
I should be fairly even, mine is pretty good on my 73.
They are a bit flimsy and if it ever bumped into something, it could be out of shape a bit.
Perry 70 Javelin SST 390, 69 AMX 343, 73 AMX 360, 67 Rebel SST Conv and 92 Corvette Conv. (modern muscle to keep wife happy).
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 2:55pm
it should be even all the way across.  the ends on your look like they are too far away from the body.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 3:24pm
After I rear ended another car with my original 69 Javelin (don't ask Ermm), I took off the front bumper, leaned it against a tree, and kicked the V back into it. Those bumpers are like saw blades. The 71-74 versions are likely just as flimsy.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
BU1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BU1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 3:29pm
Yep. Just run a chain from a tree to the center of the bumper and back up. Oh,,, wait,,, Probably not many trees where Cam is!! Do cactus work for a pulling anchor?
AMO #2726
#1 1968 AMX Rally Green 343 Z code 4spd since 1975 #02642
#2 1968 AMX Rally Green 290 N code 4spd since 2019 #02959
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 3:57pm
May crack the chrome
they call me Capt RETIRED!
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 3:59pm
Haha, bending it back into shape what I had in mind.  The car is without an engine and on a lift right now, so I'll either have to take the bumper back off or wait until it's back on the ground.  I'd probably pull the whole car off the lift if I tried doing it while on the car right now.

Probably I can close the gaps on the end up a little once the center is pushed back out.  I adjusted it out a little because I didn't want the bumper hitting the grill in the center.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.  Since both my cars are this way I wondered if maybe that was how they were supposed to be.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by turbo turbo wrote:

May crack the chrome

True, that.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 5:49am
If you carefully bend it over a block of wood, it can be done. Bend it gently and in small increments. It's better with 2 guys but if you can get it a situation where the one end is held, you could do it by yourself. If the chrome peels, then it was probably a not-so-great chrome job but there's no way of knowing that.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
70,71,72 AMXS View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,71,72 AMXS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2023 at 6:21am
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

If you carefully bend it over a block of wood, it can be done. Bend it gently and in small increments. It's better with 2 guys but if you can get it a situation where the one end is held, you could do it by yourself. If the chrome peels, then it was probably a not-so-great chrome job but there's no way of knowing that.

Like Keith says, with the bumper off the car. On the car, I cut a small piece of wood to fit inside right at the center point, and have a greater angle on it. Wrap towels around the ends and I pull it with a come-a-long. I've pulled/tweaked a dozen of these bumpers and never cracked original chrome.
Bruce in NW Ohio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic