TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-74 Javelin Dash Vents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71-74 Javelin Dash Vents
    Posted: Oct/22/2019 at 9:15pm
Just got the a/c working in my '72 Javelin for the first time. The blower fan works fine but the air blows mostly out the defroster vents.  The dash vents barely blow any air at all regardless of the setting of the open/closed lever next to the center dash vent.

From the service manual, I see that the open/closed lever apparently controls a vacuum "motor" at the top of the evaporator housing.  Since they call it a motor I assume it's electrically operated, but I haven't found it in the wiring diagram. Is this in fact an electric pump that opens/closes a damper by vacuum?

TIA.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2019 at 10:03pm
I'm not a '71/74 guy but I believe it is a vacuum operated valve like the '70 ram air valve.
Mike
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2019 at 10:30pm
Thanks, Mike. I see from the parts book that the open/closed dash control has two vacuum hoses going to it, so it sounds like you're right. Not sure why they call the part on the evaporator a "motor" in the service manual though.   I suppose I need to figure out how the hoses are routed.  I doubt I'll be so lucky as to find there's just a vacuum line under the hood that has come loose, but I may as well start with the easy stuff first.

EDIT:  Found this post from earlier this year by forum member CHAR, who was working on a'72 Javelin. Gives me some clues as what to look for.

"I've yet to get into the vacuum system, but there is a line from a intake manifold fitting, thru the firewall close the the speedo  and into the cab to a tree that services the main air flap that lets air up into the upper dash duct work while the A/C is on.  It also looks to feed(suck) the heater valve.  I want to see about getting it all working again or ditch it and switch it all to manual cables, but aside from parts, it looks simple enough."

and yet another from forum member Pit Crew in 2015:

"The vacuum supply line runs from the intake manifold to a tee near the "OPEN/CLOSE" switch on the dash board next to the center A/C vent.

One side of the tee supplies vacuum to the "OPEN/CLOSE" switch. From the "OPEN/CLOSE switch another vacuum line runs to the actuator on the top of the A/C evaporator box.

From the other side of the tee supplies vacuum to the vacuum switch located over on the front of the heater box. From that vacuum switch a line runs back out to the water control valve in the engine bay by the heater core."

I think I get the idea now.  If I'm not mistaken the vacuum line to the water control valve is '73 and '74  Javelin only.

Edited by CamJam - Oct/22/2019 at 11:16pm

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2019 at 12:23pm
No sign of a vacuum hose coming through the firewall, so I climbed under the dash to see if I could see any sign of it there. Hey, guess what? I found one! Pulled lightly on it and found it was open on one end.  I started the engine up, turned the a/c on, sucked on that hose like I was drinking a Wendy's milkshake through it, and immediately the dash vents started to blow cold air!

Time to buy a lottery ticket.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Time to buy a lottery ticket.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic