TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Z code resolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2021 at 2:17am
Any of you guys have this spacer? 
javguy
bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2021 at 10:39am
FWIW, I did the 727 swap in my 70 Jav. I was in the process of rebuilding a 390 so the crank was already out. I had also scored a beat 78 Matador for parts so I used the trans (had it rebuilt of course) and canabalized the linkage, yoke, cooler lines and whatever other bits and pieces I thought I might need. I used a 72 rear trans mount and bought a changeover speedo cable from Kennedy American IIRC. The swap was well worth the effort. 
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2021 at 1:55pm
I went the other way - I bought a ‘69 AMX where someone had swapped out the original 343/M11 for a ‘72 360/727. 

I couldn’t stand the 727 and the hokey bellcrank and linkage for the pressure switch drove me nuts. What a Rube Goldberg setup, lol. I love the M11 I had rebuilt, it’s a stout trans and the vacuum modulator does away with the linkage. Shifts are firm and “better” than the 727, IMO. 

It’s subjective. 

Is the 727 a better trans? Most would argue yes, and that it’s the reason why AMC switched to the 727 design. On the other hand, there are examples in other aspects of our lives that illustrate that the best of something is not what necessarily rises to the top and becomes commonplace; for example, is Windows really the best OS compared to Apple or Linux? But everything & everyone runs Windows now, so that must mean that Windows is better, right? 

So is the 727 easier to get parts for and easier to get rebuilt because it’s the better trans and as a result it was made in larger quantities, or is it easier to get parts/rebuilt just because Chrysler made them in large quantities and they’re more common and people are more familiar with them? All transmissions have their issues, both the M11/12 and the 727 (and the TH350/400, C6, etc.) it’s just a matter of what you can live with. 

For all we know, AMC switched vendors because they got a better $$$ deal with Chrysler than they could with Borg-Warner/Warner Gear. Remember, the lowest bidder often wins. 

So I will leave everyone with this thought: while it’s true that cream rises to the top, it’s also true that poop floats. 

Edited by sweatlock - Dec/17/2021 at 2:13pm
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2021 at 5:47pm
Today's prog... Cleaned the bay chased rust and rust mort-ed
javguy
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2021 at 5:51pm
javguy
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2021 at 5:55pm
javguy
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2021 at 6:01pm
Looks like you have a clean car, keep up the good work.  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
flejl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flejl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2021 at 6:16pm
Nice Car!

rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2021 at 10:03pm
Thanks... I was pretty shocked the see the condition of the gutters. And that they were left as raw galvanizing. Do most guys paint them?

I'm shooting epoxy over the raw zones tomorrow then mtk... The local body supply could only formulate the original color in omni mtk, I'm told the factory color is now impossible to mix, as one of the toners is now obsolete.
I'll be needing to have a spray out color match in order to get a higher quality material in enough quantity to shoot the body. 

Edited by rsrguy3 - Dec/22/2021 at 10:10pm
javguy
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2021 at 5:44pm
The rust mort worked its magic overnight so were really able to hit it hard today!

javguy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic