TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Z code resolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 Z code resolution
    Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 1:54pm
Long time member and lurker here.  I should probably introduce myself  and share a little background. I'm Guy I grew up in CA, but now I live in Northern UT. I was minted in 70. My grandad bought a 71 Z-code car in 71. They drove the piss out of it. It was gifted to me in 87 as a reward for driving a year without any moving violations... The hiccup was the grandparents let mom and dad borrow it in the 85-86 time frame (they were down a car). Mom came home one day it backfired and poof engine bay fire... The long and short is I never got to really enjoy it for a pile of reasons. FFWD to NOW, 30 years of marriage 5 kids raised and out. My resolution is to get it running and driving by this time 2021. The fmx trans is toast with no way to rebuild it(or anyone that will) the motor was properly rebuilt 10 years back and I have a narragansett reproductions harness complete with thr proper terminals. I also have a torqueflight from a 73 or 4 AMX. Now to the discussion points

1. I have the crank mod drawings, I need to pull the crank and have it machined to play nice with the TQF. Anyone here have experience with this?
2. I really want to get this thing performing like I remember as a 12 year old. What do I need to keep in mind when building the trans?
3. What should I do about picking the correct torque converter? The car was able to break traction in every gear (according to both of my uncles... and my grandmother.....)Shocked
4. It didn't have posi.. I have a rear-end from that same 73-74 amx... Was it twin grip or not, what should I be looking for and thinking about?
5. If I remember correctly it was barely tame enough to be a daily driver what gremlins(no pun here) are lurking to prevent me from getting back to this state? 
6. Who should I send the leaf springs to for rebuild? 

Regards,
Guy

javguy
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 1:57pm
Almost forgot.... Is anyone rebuilding those damn (one year only) heater control valves? 
javguy
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 3:32pm
Here's where to send your valve for repair http://www.heatercontrolvalve.com/

I'd keep looking for someone to rebuild the M12 automatic before I would pull the engine apart to do a Torqueflite swap. There are people & places that will do them, I suggest you post in the transmission section looking for advice.

The only gremlins lurking that will keep it from being a smooth running daily driver is your ability to tune it. Keep the engine stock, or close to stock. Just easier that way. Set up correctly, it should idle like a dream all day long, & smoke the tires at will, especially if you keep the single leg rear axle.

You have to investigate the 73-74 rear axle to see if it is Twin Grip. Turn the input yoke, see if both wheels turn the same direction. If they don't, it is an open rear end. If they do, it may be Twin Grip. Pop the rear cover off, take a look inside, & post a picture. Then we can visually confirm it is Twin Grip.

I've owned a 1971 401 auto Javelin AMX since 1986.

Best of luck with your project!! Start a build thread in the projects section so we can follow along & encourage you. Post lots of pictures!

Edited by scott - Jan/30/2020 at 3:34pm
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 3:39pm
If by chance it is a 73/74 vintage twin grip, it was probably worn out by the first year. The only good unit was the early model.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 6:51pm
Trans should be a borg warner model 12 not a fmx. Similar but not the same. I have rebuilt them, not that complicated. It may or may not be a thing for you but I would keep it original. If you really want a 727 I would find a 72 and newer crank and tear down motor and have it balanced for the new crank. If you go the 727 route most anybody can rebuild one. Good luck with your project. You should come to colorado springs for the amo national show. If you come to the show I can hav e a 727 waiting for you.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 6:53pm
As far as a twin grip there are many new ones available for jeep model 20s that will fit your car.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Here's where to send your valve for repair http://www.heatercontrolvalve.com/

I'd keep looking for someone to rebuild the M12 automatic before I would pull the engine apart to do a Torqueflite swap. There are people & places that will do them, I suggest you post in the transmission section looking for advice.

The only gremlins lurking that will keep it from being a smooth running daily driver is your ability to tune it. Keep the engine stock, or close to stock. Just easier that way. Set up correctly, it should idle like a dream all day long, & smoke the tires at will, especially if you keep the single leg rear axle.

You have to investigate the 73-74 rear axle to see if it is Twin Grip. Turn the input yoke, see if both wheels turn the same direction. If they don't, it is an open rear end. If they do, it may be Twin Grip. Pop the rear cover off, take a look inside, & post a picture. Then we can visually confirm it is Twin Grip.

I've owned a 1971 401 auto Javelin AMX since 1986.

Best of luck with your project!! Start a build thread in the projects section so we can follow along & encourage you. Post lots of pictures!

Scott, are you suggesting I don't go twin grip? 
javguy
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

Trans should be a borg warner model 12 not a fmx. Similar but not the same. I have rebuilt them, not that complicated. It may or may not be a thing for you but I would keep it original. If you really want a 727 I would find a 72 and newer crank and tear down motor and have it balanced for the new crank. If you go the 727 route most anybody can rebuild one. Good luck with your project. You should come to colorado springs for the amo national show. If you come to the show I can hav e a 727 waiting for you.

Sorry, it is the m12... Cracked bell and when I was driving it in the 80's it was eating flywheels... I bought a billet flywheel... Not crazy about that. The motor was built and balanced, but I can't remember if it was balanced to that flywheel. 

Is the 727 a better trans? Originality isn't a concern it'll never be sold its a pass down car. I remember the m12 shifting hard... It seemed like a stout trans, at this point the m12 is a cheaper option IF I can get it rebuilt. I'm wondering if I wouldn't be dollars ahead by getting the TF done now. I know it's lighter but is it better/stronger etc? 
javguy
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 9:06pm
I've been looking for my cam data... No luck yet I just remember being told the lift and duration approximated an rv grind and its a crower. The pistons are speed pro L2380F .040 the motor was fully and properly machined and balanced and has less than 100 miles on it (trans and electrical issues) but that was 10 years ago so.... you know how that goes. 
javguy
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 9:13pm
Theres probably going to be a lot of opinions.
If it were mine, I'd fix the M12.
I wouldn't go through all the trouble and $$$ just to toss in another 3 speed tranny.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic