TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Javelin Optioned Base Model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 5:19am
Thank you. It's going to be a nice cruiser/driver for someone. It's not a restoration. Kevin and I did the metal work, a friend of his did the body work and Maaco for paint. It's their single stage in the original color. I couldn't of bought the material for what they sprayed it for. 

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 7:54am
Interesting.  There's a Maaco about 50 miles from me that gets excellent reviews, and I've been planning to use them for my '73 as well. White is the most forgiving color, so that helps. Nothing wrong with single stage on old cars. That's what they left the factory with., though I assume that Maaco uses urethane these days. 

Edited by CamJam - Jan/13/2023 at 7:58am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 7:56am
Nice work. Going with Maaco was a good move - they are franchises and if you do your homework and find a good one locally they can do good work. Doing the panel/body work yourself beforehand is key so that all they have to do is prep and spray. Great job, cool car - I’m subscribed. 
DMack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 12:40pm
Its going to be a great looking car Keith.  Somebody will be proud to have it in their driveway!  
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2023 at 2:52pm
Thanks. It worked out perfect for me to get rid of a project that I had lost interest in and to save this pretty cool car. It'll make a nice car for somebody. I'm putting my old set of wheels and tires on it and the original wheels and hubcaps go with it.

As for Maaco yes it's a good idea to have at least the metal repaired/replaced before taking it there so that they only have to bodywork. As sweatlock said, they're independent franchises and some do some nice work. They were excited about doing this because all the work was done. They took the doors and trunk lid off, taped it off, wiped everything down and sprayed it. They did a nice job for sure. I did see a Mustang there that they did some work on and painted in base clear and it was nice from what I could see. I wouldn't hesitate to go there again but you do have to do your homework to find out which one does good work. 

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2023 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Thanks. It worked out perfect for me to get rid of a project that I had lost interest in and to save this pretty cool car. It'll make a nice car for somebody. I'm putting my old set of wheels and tires on it and the original wheels and hubcaps go with it.

As for Maaco yes it's a good idea to have at least the metal repaired/replaced before taking it there so that they only have to bodywork. As sweatlock said, they're independent franchises and some do some nice work. They were excited about doing this because all the work was done. They took the doors and trunk lid off, taped it off, wiped everything down and sprayed it. They did a nice job for sure. I did see a Mustang there that they did some work on and painted in base clear and it was nice from what I could see. I wouldn't hesitate to go there again but you do have to do your homework to find out which one does good work. 

I assume your car is A1 snow white. Did they have the paint code already or did they have to match it?  

I believe their basic paint is single-stage acrylic enamel.  That's what I used on my '72 (PPG brand) and was surprised how well it shines.  Haven't decided whether to go with that or base coat/clear coat urethane.  I like my cars to look nice, but they're drivers.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2023 at 11:19pm
Yes it's A1. He looked it up while I was there and said they had the formula for it. I think it's a urethane but I don't really remember. I'll look at the receipt and see if it lists it.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 7:36pm
Kevin and I have been busy moving forward on this project. Sometime we only get an hour or so during a weeknight and much more on the weekends but it counts and keeps it moving forward.
So here's a bit of an update to our progress since I last posted. The front suspension and steering is all installed, the a/c compressor is mounted now, the carpeting is in and the doors are back on it with the windows all lined up. I'm rebuilding the carb now with wiring, radiator and a/c components next. I got word the exhaust system will be ready for pickup next week so I'll be going after that. It's getting exciting seeing it come together again. Smile

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2023 at 7:54pm
Yep, you're at the fun part!   Looking good!!

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2023 at 3:54pm
No new pictures yet but we got it running today. Smile  Runs so smooth and quiet. I put the aluminum radiator, with the Contour fans, that was in my car in it. Going to charge the A/C this week. I'm hoping to have this pretty close to being all back together about the end of the month. When the weather gets better in April, I can start driving it to debug it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 17>
  Share Topic