TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Javelin Optioned Base Model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2020 at 1:05pm
Thanks Dave! 

Yes I do Tom. It came with them plus it needs that bad to break up all that white. With no other trim on it you can hardly see the body lines. 

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2020 at 2:32pm
Yeah, I missed part of the jist of the car, and am glad to see it going back to original. I am going to look around for a decent body, and get the best I can. Thanks for the updates, it looks great!
Cricket

Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Maybe you missed the first part of this thread but since this car is pretty loaded for a base model and has fairly low miles plus an original window sticker, it’s staying pretty much stock with just a few upgrades to make it better to drive. I’m not one for stock cars but I felt that it needs to be saved and kept the way it came. I want it to be ready to find a new caretaker next spring so they can enjoy it next summer. 

My advice to you is to find the best body you can find if you don’t do bodywork. Even though this car looked to have all original paint, it still had surprises for us so be very careful when looking at them so you don’t get stuck. Unfortunately these cars have body issues in numerous places so buyer beware. Whoever buys this car will get to see exactly what was wrong with it and how it was all repaired. I have hundreds of pictures to document everything. Good luck to you in your search!
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2020 at 7:56pm
Looking good buddy, hope you and the wife are well.

B.P.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2020 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Thanks Dave! 

Yes I do Tom. It came with them plus it needs that bad to break up all that white. With no other trim on it you can hardly see the body lines. 

So the original paint wasn't metallic? I admit the solid colours do hide the body lines more than metallics. A few white Javelins, had no distinction with solid white, that I came across in my life time in central California. Ha! Try finding it by asking Californians. They seem to call any part in the valley central and above Monterey Northern California.

In fact my 65 Riviera was white. Was going to pearl blue it to be kind of like snow. Because silver really stood out over most all the other colours that happened to be solid. The Riviera and Javelin, have distinctive lines that once you see them with a colour that shows them, you find solid colours hide more details under certain lighting conditions.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2020 at 8:18pm
No it was just a solid, super bright, white. The black stripe will help a lot. Yeah, silver on a wide body Javelin looks great.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2020 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Scene One Scene One wrote:

Looking good buddy, hope you and the wife are well.

B.P.

Yes, we're dong fine so far. I'll call you this weekend and catch up with you.

n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2021 at 9:57pm
Any updates on this Keith? Neat car.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2021 at 8:33am
Well, it hasn't gone as planned as life gets in the way sometimes. We have the HVAC unit in, the wiring along with some other stuff. The brake lines are next followed by the engine/trans. I want to get back on it but with summer here now I'm not sure when it might happen. Unhappy It might have to wait till fall.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2023 at 7:33pm
WOW it's been a year and a half since I updated this but it's finally getting put back together. Smile I started on it a year ago but didn't get to far. I got it back in the shop a couple of months ago and with Kevin's help and motivation, it's looking like a car again. We've made some good progress over the Christmas break and have some good momentum going. Here's some progress pictures.

I wire brushed the whole underside to clean it for paint. It was more dirt than anything and some light surface rust. Pretty amazing for a 1971 car that's been in Ohio it's entire life. Anybody in the Northeast will understand this oddity. LOL

Fortunately I have a 2 post lift in my shop so this is how I remove and install engine and transmission assembly's.

This is first that I have opened up the engine. Yes I'd say the 41,000 miles is original.

We found this written on the underside roof before we put insulation in.

I took these today so this is where were at now.

I'm using the original roof rail and door weather stripping because it's in such nice condition. It's still soft. I have a friend make me some new door bushings because all the replacement ones out there are junk. The id is to big so they're sloppy. The new ones are aluminum bronze and were made a hair under size so when I run a reamer through them, they fit like they should. There's no slop in them now. I broke the pin on the roller trying to get it out so I did the roller bearing upgrade to the left side and it's a really nice upgrade.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2023 at 11:12pm
You're doing some great work, Keith.  I love the base model humpsters, and it's cool that you're keeping it mostly stock.  AMX grilles are awesome, but otherwise I always found the AMX badging on the humpsters to be a little kitschy.

I'll have to do the wire-brush-under-the-car routine here myself before too long.  Not the most fun part of the restoration, that's for sure.

Did you paint it yourself or send it out?

Edited by CamJam - Jan/12/2023 at 11:15pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 17>
  Share Topic