TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Javelin Optioned Base Model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 Javelin Optioned Base Model
    Posted: Jul/30/2017 at 8:06pm
I rescued a 71 base model Javelin yesterday from a fellow hot rodder by trading my 37 Plymouth street rod project for it. It's not pretty but what attracted me to look at it better is the 41k original miles and the options it has on it. It was bought new and had never left Columbus, Ohio it's entire life. It has a 360, auto, A/C, PS, PB, Twin Grip, Tinted glass, AM 8 track, Tilt wheel with automatic on the column and a few other goodies as you can see from the original window sticker. I've not seen the brushed dash face (which is pretty dirty) before on a Javelin. From what I've read, it was only on the 71 base model cars. I believe someone added the SST badges on recently by the way they are installed. The worst part of the entire car is the trunk/tail panel area. The lower rear window channel rusted out and let water into the trunk. The trunk pan and tail panel both need replaced. Fortunately the extensions and quarter panels are fine. (got to love those little smart phone bore scopes - Thanks Kevin!) The rest of the car is solid as a rock. The underside is pretty nice considering how long it sat. As time allows, I'll replace the trunk pan and tail panel to get it ready to be painted back to it's original Snow White color. I'll go over it mechanically before I sell it as I have no need for 2 Javelins nor am I into "stock" cars. Since this car is to special to modify, it will stay mostly all stock. Here's some pictures of it.

Edited by Mopar_guy - Aug/06/2017 at 9:54am

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2017 at 8:16pm
Wow, awesome car, too bad about all the rust in the back. I like looking at the window sticker. That car was very reasonable priced for its day. Today's price adjusted for inflation would be about $26,000. Thumbs Up
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2017 at 8:32pm
Donno, that steering column does not seem right. I had a 73 with tilt and my 71 without. Seems like a 70 or 69 turn signal lever. The tilt lever maybe as well.

Since they added SST emblems, the sports mirror may be an add on as well.

Hard to read, but I may have not seen the sports mirror listed, along with tilt wheel.

At least most of the options were listed, so it Is one of them rare base 71 models, might be before January build. Need to check door sticker for that or engine tag.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 3:14pm
It was made in December of '70 so who knows what they did back then. That column is original as that mirror is. I'm hoping someone that knows these 71 Javelins can help me verify what's right and wrong with it.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

It was made in December of '70 so who knows what they did back then. That column is original as that mirror is. I'm hoping someone that knows these 71 Javelins can help me verify what's right and wrong with it.

It's seems to be an early build so the turn signal and tilt lever may be just for that early year only.

Plus you are In the same boat as with another early build Javelin SST, with door panels and kick panels.

In a sad way, your the only early build 71 base Javelin I have seen pop up for restoration, there is the early 71 AMX restomod that shows some details but it's an AMX. It will be a mix of swapping info between you guys as to know what wee changes are unique.

I still have stainless windshield and rear window trim if needed. Not sure but I think if yours is just loose or could slightly bent, hard to tell.

I think it would be wise to document all the details and pictures of every thing before even starting on doing removals and such.

Unfortunately the other early Javelin has been already jumped into and has had some changes through the years for some details.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 3:47pm
The 71 base models are distinct in that there is no stainless trim on the edge of the hood or fenders and i believe the rain gutters and wheel wells too? Definitely some oddball options for sure.

Here is a 71 base for sale for comparison

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/amc/59669-1971-amc-javelin-electric-blue-304-3-speed-manual-clean-complete.html
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 4:56pm
Cool car, I hope it gets a back to stock restoration. I really like how it is optioned out.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Cool car, I hope it gets a back to stock restoration. I really like how it is optioned out.

It was not all that optioned like yours. The basics outside of a sport mirror and 304.

No air, no power, and emissions are mostly gone. The dual exhaust is a shop mod.

Funny thing my 71 SST was not as well optioned as yours. But it did come with air, pin stripe, vinyl top, console automatic, and twin grip.

No sports mirror, no tilt, no power anything, just drums on all 4 corners.

Since you have some convenience options, check for low fuel warning. I had no clue until I disassembled my dash.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 6:12pm
That whole car looks pretty correct, save for the SST badges that the OP pointed out.

That's pretty loaded for a base-model car! Why not just step up to an AMX and get most of those options built in?  The only real discrpancy I can see is that the AM/8-track doesn't appear to be original.  The window sticker shows an AM-pushbutton.

But really - to have air, tilt, P/S, P/B, bumper guards and a Twin Grip added along with the 360-two barrel AND auto transmission?  Wow.  Even the bottom line -  original owner could have had an AMX for that kind of money.  Very unusual but also very cool!! Please keep all the base-model specific items if you're going to restore it.  You just never see these cars anymore!
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by 401harry 401harry wrote:

The 71 base models are distinct in that there is no stainless trim on the edge of the hood or fenders and i believe the rain gutters and wheel wells too? Definitely some oddball options for sure.

Here is a 71 base for sale for comparison

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/amc/59669-1971-amc-javelin-electric-blue-304-3-speed-manual-clean-complete.html

I believe you're correct Harry because there are no holes for any of that trim. There's only a corner trim piece on the gutter back by the C pillar on both sides. I don't see any marks where there was trim on the gutters either. The primer is a pretty light rattle can job covering the paint. I can still see some of the black stripes showing. Here's a link to what the car should look like with the stripes. http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/amc/135162-1971-amc-javelin-sst-survivor.html

304 dude - yes, it does have low fuel warning because the light on the dash lights up for a few seconds until the gauge rises. I wonder what all that convenience package consisted of? It has a map light in the dash and a trunk light as well which shold be part of the lighting package.
I have, or can get most everything I need except a trunk pan. I'm already looking for one. Yes I am going to photograph everything I do to it for documentation.

I took some more pictures I'll post tomorrow of the engine compartment and inside. I pulled the front seats and found part of the build sheet under the drivers seat. Is there anywhere else they can reside?
When I first seen the car and the guy showed me the window sticker, I knew it was special but this is turning out to be even better. The only changes I have planned is to upgrade the front brakes to disc and ditch the points for a pertronix so it's a better driver. Other than that, it will stay stock. If anybody has has some more information, it would be appreciated! Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic