TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Javelin grill rivets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archangeldvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 Javelin grill rivets
    Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 6:26pm
Really appreciate everyone's help and advice with the issues I am fixing on my 71 Javelin AMX.
I am very carefully repairing the grill which is in overall pretty good shape however it is missing a few of the edge trim rivets. Does anyone know what type and size were used and if they can still be purchased.?
Appreciate the assistance. 
Billyfrank360 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billyfrank360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 7:07pm
I'm interested in this info also. My grill needs some attention too.  I have a 72 I am building and live a couple hours north.

Cheers,
Billy
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 7:16pm

Rivet type:     Semi tubular
Head type :    Truss head, I think  (The original looks almost flat but has a VERY slight curve in it)
Metal type:     Aluminum
Head size:      1/4" (.236" or very close to that)
Shank width:  1/8"
Shank length: 7/16"    (3/8" shank length does not seem to be long enough for the middle part of the grille since there are four pecies of the grille to go through)

In a different thread this was posted as what the rivets are. I have not found this rivet, but have not looked real hard. One concern I have is it looks like the holes in the grille surround I have are 5/32 not anywhere near to 1/8. I would like to have an original one to look at, the grill I have is totally torn apart not original rivets. Have considered making rivets from scratch but would like an original to check the head shape.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Archangeldvm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Archangeldvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 9:23pm
Thanks for the info. I know some of the rivets in mine spin freely to even wobble a bit. Going to stay searching and see what I can find. Will post if I find them. 
Archangeldvm View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archangeldvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 9:24pm
They are not fun to work on especially when 50 years old. Will post if I find them. 
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2021 at 10:40pm
EDIT; I must let everyone know: I have plenty of the rivets, BUT, 1974 grilles use an ever so slightly larger rivet, and these will not work on them. I do not have that size, sorry, I should have stated that earlier when asked about 1971 rivets. The ones I have will fit 1971-1973 grille screens.

I have them, as I found a seller that makes limited runs. I can sell 30 3/8" long ones, and 4 7/16" long ones, 15 dollars includes shipping. There is someone who is said to have NOS rivets, but they are 70 dollars, if you can find them. I have aluminum and stainless, your choice. If you want some, PM me.
Thanks,
Cricket

Edited by Cricket - Oct/06/2021 at 8:32am
74_401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74_401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2021 at 1:52am
PM sent.

I need some rivets, please!

TY Smile

Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2021 at 8:30am
Replied.

Originally posted by 74_401 74_401 wrote:

PM sent.

I need some rivets, please!

TY Smile

Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2021 at 2:44pm
Maybe you can find something here?
74_401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74_401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2021 at 12:18pm
Cricket has what we need, in the quantities we them in, and at a very fair price.

His communication is excellent, and shipping is fast.

Thanks Cricket!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic