TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Jav - Looking dash sockets, modern lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 Jav - Looking dash sockets, modern lights
    Posted: Apr/26/2022 at 6:39pm
Simple deal. I'm looking for a new, compatible sockets for the dash lights (SMP 59243ZZ). We just replaced the regular and the circuit board, but several of the sockets are just... Dead. Corroded badly enough that, after the one we cleaned, the contacts no longer contact properly. And the only place I'm finding them look like original originals. So... Anyone got any ideas?

I also found some LED bulbs for the dash sockets, and was wondering if anyone knew where there were some high-power LEDs that fit the headlights, tail lights, and turn signals. Please, mighty gurus, aid your loyal acolyte!
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2022 at 6:58pm
71 had a low fuel indicator and automatic headlight delay as options. The modules may effect some dash light operation. The instrument wiring is short and simple. Ohming point to point can be done with cluster removed. There is harness connectors that are accesses through window openings when cluster is removed. By disconnecting and reconnecting, you can create a good connection that has been faulty by age and humidity. Check fuse panel as well. Gauges have a small 4amp fuse which is critical. Removing each connection one at a time to clean if needed helps.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Zarius View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2022 at 4:00pm
This um... Does not help me at all. As cool as it sound to be able to eliminate the control module all together, our mechanic isn't comfortable with *that* fine of detail wiring, and we've already replaced the module and circuit board.

We've also cleaned the contacts, including trouble shooting 101 of 'turn it off and on again, reseat all connections.' Those are literally my first two advised steps for every problem I can't isolate readily. The problem is that enough material was lost when we cleaned the corrosion of (it was really bad) that there isn't enough copper left for a strong contact.

I need parts. I know the part number. I have found exactly one guy that sells them, so I was hoping someone might have a more modern equivalent that doesn't look like it's in the exact same condition as the ones I'm trying to replace.
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2022 at 4:41pm
If you are looking for the sockets for the gauge cluster lights, they are the same as 80's GM products. Like an 80's Chevy pickup, or 90's S10. Chevy dealer should be able to get them, or GM resto parts houses. Probably a good parts store too.

If you can't source any new ones locally, I have plenty of used ones that would need light cleaning.
"Prolly" is not a word.
Matt N. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2022 at 5:47pm
You can find then in the help section at most auto parts stores. Dorman part # 85835

Edited by Matt N. - Apr/27/2022 at 5:53pm
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2022 at 10:40pm
Wish I could help you out.  I've changed the dash lights and tail lights in my own Humpster to LED.... but, I never did document what I used. Everything was sourced through eBay.

I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Zarius View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2022 at 1:35am
Fantastic, guys, you got me the most important part, thank you. I knew they had to exist. Anyone happen to know an equivalent socket to the 71' Jav's head, tail, and blinker lights, then, so I can hunt up compatible LEDs?
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2022 at 5:13am
There's quite a few threads on here about putting LEDs in. Do a search and be sure to put the same color LED as the lens is you're putting it behind.

Edited by Mopar_guy - Apr/28/2022 at 5:15am

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Zarius View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2022 at 4:18pm
That doesn't... Actually address the question I asked. I'm not looking at how to change out the bulbs. I wanted to know what the socket part numbers are, so I can look for the parts myself.
Matt N. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2022 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Zarius Zarius wrote:

Fantastic, guys, you got me the most important part, thank you. I knew they had to exist. Anyone happen to know an equivalent socket to the 71' Jav's head, tail, and blinker lights, then, so I can hunt up compatible LEDs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic