TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 hornet quarter removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 hornet quarter removal
    Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 7:54pm
ok .... i get to start drilling out spot welds to get the quarters off the donor hornet. on the lower front edge where it comes to the rocker. just how is it welded to the rocker? am i going to cut up the inner rocker to remove the quarter? i don't want to mess up a good rocker if i don't have to .... thanks
its the little things that make the biggest difference
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 8:39pm
There is a lip on the bottom of the quarter that is spot welded to the top of the rocker on the inside. It looks like the seam between the quarter and rear has been filled on your car.
AMO Newsletter Editor
hacksaw1971 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2021 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

There is a lip on the bottom of the quarter that is spot welded to the top of the rocker on the inside. It looks like the seam between the quarter and rear has been filled on your car.
ya .. im thinking thay did that when thay trimmed the wheel opening for slicks.  the donor car has the seam and was wondering if i was going to have to cut the rocker open to get the the spot welds....  guess im cutting it
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 7:34am
If you're removing the quarter, sand the seam and drill out the spot welds inside of the quarter. I've done a few of them and it's pretty easy at that seam..
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 9:22am
Originally posted by 71SC360 71SC360 wrote:

If you're removing the quarter, sand the seam and drill out the spot welds inside of the quarter. I've done a few of them and it's pretty easy at that seam..
so ya go in behind the trim panel?
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 11:09am
The spot welds are behind the quarter panel, inside of the kick area. They are welded to the top of the rocker panel. If you clean out the bondo, outside, on the top of the rocker panel, you'll find the exterior seam..
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 11:12am
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 11:15am
You can just see the seam in this pic. It matches the edge of the bottom of the door and the seam at the back of the front fender. The seam should be exposed, not filled with bondo.

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hacksaw1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 1:04pm

ya . lucky the donor ain't got no bondo in them.   im having some one else put them on my S/C ....  just didn't want to make any more work for them and mess up the new ones taking them off. .. thanks. think im just going to do a quarter cut and he can trim it as he sees fit to put it on mine.
but thanks for the pic ....it helps to know whats under the skin.
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2021 at 3:28pm

You can just see the seam in this pic. It matches the edge of the bottom of the door and the seam at the back of the front fender. The seam should be exposed, not filled with bondo.

Hmmm,  That car looks familiarLOL 
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic