TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Gremlin Bucket seat mounting holes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 Gremlin Bucket seat mounting holes
    Posted: Sep/24/2021 at 9:17pm
I'm restoring a 71 Gremlin that originally came with a split bench seat that I'm upgrading to bucket seats.  The split bench seat only had two seat tracks vs. the four that you have with buckets.  Is there anyone out there willing to make a pattern of the mounting holes for the bucket seat tracks.  I see that AMC has one "dimple" in the floor pan on each side where it appears one of the two rear studs go through the floor pan but I have no idea on what angle the forward stud goes through the floor pan.  Any help will be appreciated. 
1976 Jeep Honcho 401
1972 Javelin SST 360
1969 AMX 390
1976 Pacer
1971 Gremlin
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2021 at 10:08pm
I just drilled mine straight through those dimples. There wasn't really any angle to them. If you have a seat and attach the seat tracks to them, you can get a good idea where they mount through the floor pan by using the seat track holes next to the doors. 
I didn't use oem seats either. I attached a pair of Summit race style seats to the stock seat tracks and the mounting holes were right on the money with them. 
Hope this helps.. 
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 2:56am
Ditto, I did the same thing as BrotherBamc.  I took the bucket seat, aligned the seat track bolts up with the holes closet to the door and then marked the floor with a sharpie with the seat track bolts next to the tunnel.  Once the holes were drilled, I double checked and the seat dropped right in.  I think installing the seat through the carpet was the hardest part!!!  Confused

Just make sure both seat rails are positioned correctly and even with each other. I had to dismantle my seat tracks for cleaning and repainting, so I had to reinstall the seat tracks and align them up to each other first before locating the place to drill holes in the floor. 
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

amxv8 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxv8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 9:18am
Thanks for the advise guys, I'll put it to good use.......
1976 Jeep Honcho 401
1972 Javelin SST 360
1969 AMX 390
1976 Pacer
1971 Gremlin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic