TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'71 Ambassador Wagon Refresh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 2:51pm
Respectable ride!
Roofline always made it look bigger even though it's the same as the sedan.
Doesnt take much to make the large body handle well. Good tires, shocks and the rear sway bar (if it doesn't have one).  Optional is a grand Cherokee steering box if you don't like the steering response of an aircraft carrier.

Edited by Heavy 488 - Jun/04/2023 at 2:53pm
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 7:31pm
These cars actually outhandled the competition. Meaning GM, Ford and Chrysler.  And with either the 360 or 401 they could run right with them.  I have friends with these cars, I mean sedans and the coupes, and Ive gotten to where I appreciate  these cars.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

These cars actually outhandled the competition. Meaning GM, Ford and Chrysler.  And with either the 360 or 401 they could run right with them.  I have friends with these cars, I mean sedans and the coupes, and Ive gotten to where I appreciate  these cars.

My dad had a '72 Matador wagon 360 as a company car for a while.  Every now and then I got to use it to deliver newspapers.  I was amazed how fast that car was compared to his usual driver, a 350 Chevy Caprice.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 8:58pm
Caprice wasn't unit body.  Frames weigh.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Heavy 488 Heavy 488 wrote:

Caprice wasn't unit body.  Frames weigh.

Good point.

Were there any differences between the Rebel/Matador and Ambassador suspensions at all or just additional soundproofing, i.e. Hornet/Concord.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2023 at 9:27pm
Basic suspensions are the same 67~74 except for the trunnions and associated parts. Parts interchange. All had standard and HD options. Some had rear sway bars. Big help is to put some caster in the front. 0 degree doesn't cut it

Edited by Heavy 488 - Jun/05/2023 at 9:32pm
Georges71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 3:09pm
Thanks guys!

The power from the 360 is very impressive. It's quite snappy, and really moves for what it is. Makes the big 455 in my Oldsmobile really feel like a 2 liter 4 cylinder lol. I know there's a pretty big weight difference but wow.

Handles nice too. The 15s seem to have really brought the ride together, along with the KYBs. Firm but compliant ride, and doest beat you up. I will look into the sway bar for the rear. Sounds like it could add the finishing touch to the suspension 
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2023 at 3:45pm
Depending on what you think may be a heavy, vehicle the Ambassador wagons are still under 4,000 lbs.
Georges71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2023 at 2:34am
Today I installed new headlight housings and relays. Quite bright and white for halogen lights, and taking the power off the headlight switch is always nice. Octane Lighting makes a nice product and the install is a breeze. Longest part is aiming the lights when you're done.

Put my '71 Illinois plate on as well. Painted the hitch and surrounding areas, but too dark to see it.

Please excuse the filth that is my engine bay lol.

Georges71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2023 at 8:15pm
Went to a cruise night and saw some other AMCs/Ramblers, and took a drive the day before that along the Michigan/Indiana shoreline. Over 300 miles and it didn't skip a beat!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic