TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'71 Ambassador Wagon Refresh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2023 at 8:18pm
Thanks guys!

The correct AC/PS belt was in the car when I bought it. At some point, someone installed a new AC compressor, then stopped. The compressor was bypassed, and the short belt they used wasn't exactly right, lots of slack at full adjustment, so I went ahead and put the right belt on, and no more belt scream. Next project in the upcoming weeks will be to get the AC going again, I did pick up some new Rotolock fittings for the compressor. I'll pull a vacuum on the system and see what happens. Idle was a little high, so I backed it down a bit and it seems happy. Timing is dead on, and I have good vacuum at idle so I'll leave everything else alone for now. Car really does run well and feels extremely peppy for a 2bbl car. 

George
Georges71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 12:01am
Beautiful day today in Chicago, so I decided to get some work done on the wagon.

Test fit my Magnum 500s, and they fit fine. Need some new lug nuts I'll grab this week. Also figured out my random PING noise. Turns out the starter Bendix wasn't retracting fully, so I went over to Autozone and they had a starter in stock. 15 minutes later and that was fixed.

Car needed a wash, since it was dusty from the garage, so I did that. Also had a leaking rear passenger shock. I don't like air shocks, so I ordered a set of new regular ones, but until they show up, I was able to find a matching Monroe in my box of random shocks in the garage. It'll work until the new ones get here.

Then we had to take a drive and get some ice cream!

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 7:11am
After following your thread, I can't shake the idea that I need an Ambo wagon to tow my Javelins to car shows. Cool
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

70badmask View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70badmask Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 8:00am
Nothing takes me back more to the 70’s than classic wagons with faux wood grain! Love your wagon!! Awesome pics!!
Georges71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

After following your thread, I can't shake the idea that I need an Ambo wagon to tow my Javelins to car shows. Cool

I wholeheartedly support that! Get to shopping lol
Georges71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2023 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by 70badmask 70badmask wrote:

Nothing takes me back more to the 70’s than classic wagons with faux wood grain! Love your wagon!! Awesome pics!!

Thank you! The more we're out and about with the car, it seems like it brings back memories for lots of people of a certain age
Georges71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2023 at 8:16pm
Picked up the rest of my Mags from my buddy this morning. 

Polished and repainted the center sections. They're not perfect wheels but I think they cleaned up pretty good for what they are. Should have the tires mounted this week. 

Also swapped out the shocks the other day. Really liking the new KYBs. Not too firm but much more planted.

Also got some other good stuff in the mail. New headlight housings for the H4 conversion, with relays (to take the power off the headlight switch), inner/outer tie rods and sleeves, and new U joints. 

We're getting there!

Georges71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2023 at 11:17pm
Mounted my tires the other day, and had time to put them on this afternoon.

Also cleaned up and painted the drums and wheel wells before the new wheels went on, and put my new tailgate emblem on as well. Then took a drive of course!

The extra sidewall and width of the 15s makes for a really pleasant driving feel now, along with the new shocks. Quite pleased how well a 52 year old wagon handles and rides

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 12:00am
never thought a wagon could look so sexy .nice job on it
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Georges71 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georges71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2023 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

never thought a wagon could look so sexy .nice job on it

Thank you! It's been fun, still a lot to go, but it's a good time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic