TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Javelin - Stowing Shoulder Belt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 Javelin - Stowing Shoulder Belt
    Posted: Sep/24/2021 at 6:04pm
Can someone post a picture of how the shoulder belt on a 70 Javelin should
be folded/rolled up and attached to the two clips along the headliner?

Thanks!

Steve
1970 Javelin SST Bittersweet Orange 360/T10 4 Speed AMC20 w/3.54s
1969 AMX BBO 360 with TF727 AMC20 w/4.10s
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 6:09pm
I have not found a really good way yet. I fold the belt strap from the anchor bolt to the holding clip and try to tuck the belt in behind the trim molding and the headliner. I still need to reset this every other time a drive the car with the windows down. 

I have used a rubber band to good effect, well actually a couple of rubber bands per side to hold the folded belt strap together and then place the belt on the metal holding clip. That has worked best so far. I use very thin rubber bands so they are not really noticeable by the public at a car show.

Just my two 2 cents worth.
70 Javelin owner !!!!
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 7:56pm
Maybe this will help?  I only have one clip/side.

1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 8:09pm
Its similar to my 71 and 73 shoulder belt, other than the belt clip.

I found by pulling the adjustment in some to shorten, and fold in half with belt clip end nicely fit in front of the headliner clip, being under the fold. In doing so the adjustment end and belt clip are nicely kept forward and within the hold of the headliner clip, with out too much fuss. The problem is you need to re-adjust every time you store it away.

Edited by 304-dude - Sep/25/2021 at 8:14pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2021 at 9:45pm
Going to a show last week with a buddy, he pulled over and I did also. Turned out on a hot day he had both windows open and a gust of wind took the belt out of the clip and he was ducking the flying belt metal latch.
Poor design.
He has the belt folded so the buckle end is now in the clip.
There was a reason why they stated the chest belt was exempt to 1974. It took 4 years to get it to work safely. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 6:10am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Going to a show last week with a buddy, he pulled over and I did also. Turned out on a hot day he had both windows open and a gust of wind took the belt out of the clip and he was ducking the flying belt metal latch.
Poor design.
He has the belt folded so the buckle end is now in the clip.
There was a reason why they stated the chest belt was exempt to 1974. It took 4 years to get it to work safely. 

Understood about the clip and holding of the shoulder belt. That made me think of it when noticing the pictures given. Mainly because there is slack with bunched up belt and belt clip laying over the head liner clip, allowing sudden stopage to unreal the belt from the holding of the headliner clip.

My way unfortunately cannot be shown as an example, as all my front belts have been sold. My way was from years of the original owner keeping them stored as they were from factory. Back then shoulder belts were not so commonly used, some cars had them optional some cars did not. If you were use to cars without them it was more of an annoyance.

All I can say is once properly set in place with the belt clip end tucked nicely within the fold back, the clip will secure well enough. Any sudden stoppage, won't unsecure it, because the belt strain will be at the sail panel fasener end, as the heavy end is snug in place. You have to allow an almost equal length of doubled up belt from the belt clip back towards its end at the sail panel. I think I can mimic visually with another set of belts to give how the fold should look, but it will be a rough example not on the car, as a front section, not complete to the back.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
javsst View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 10:44am
Guys -

Thanks for the info.

My main thing is to make sure that the stowed shoulder
belt didn’t have anything dangling down.  With the door
And quarter windows down the Javelin does flow a lot of
air on the highway :)

Sometimes I do wonder who designed this system.
When I use the shoulder belt, trying to reach the parking
brake release is interesting.

Steve
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by javsst javsst wrote:

Guys -

Thanks for the info.

My main thing is to make sure that the stowed shoulder
belt didn’t have anything dangling down.  With the door
And quarter windows down the Javelin does flow a lot of
air on the highway :)

Sometimes I do wonder who designed this system.
When I use the shoulder belt, trying to reach the parking
brake release is interesting.

Steve
And your last sentence is why I have hardly ever used my shoulder belt in the last 51+ years I have owned my AMX. I always belt up, but only the lap belt in that car.
javsst View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 11:16am
Sonic -

And I’m 6’4” so it’s not my arms. Course because of
that  the seat is as far back as it goes.

Have to remember it’s not a modern seat belt system
And that there is a sudden stop when you’re reaching for
that release :)

Steve 

Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2021 at 11:38am
I am 6 feet, have the seat back as far as it goes, and I had to try to slip out sideways to barely reach and release the emergency brake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic